Deployment as a teachers' resource? With OTG USB + WiFi projector?

Hi,

Q1) Has anyone tried deploying Rachel primarily as a teachers’ resource? (Server, phone, tablet, laptop, or USB intended for teacher use.)

Q2) Is Rachel valued by teachers as a resource for them to learn and prepare lessons?

Q3) Experience with OTG USB or micro SD to view on smart phones?
My thinking: It is daunting cost-wise to equip many classrooms with 20+ tablets/laptops, but many teachers have personal smart-phones, so providing an OTG USB (On The Go, connects directly to smartphone micro USB) or micro SD card to teachers could be reasonably cost-wise at large scales. (ex. Many companies use USB & USB OTG as promotional giveaways.) [However, not all smart phones are OTG capable, especially the cheaper ones that teachers are likely to have. I have not yet researched that.]

Q4) How easy to split existing modules?
To get the content GB size (cost) down, I would like to supply them in either single subject (all grades), single grade (all subjects) or perhaps primary-focused & high school-focused. General references like Wikipedia and dictionaries provided on all. (These packages will be for Indonesia, so Indonesia-language content tied to the curriculum.)
[Since my Indonesian modules will be new, hopefully I can learn how to customize them.]

Of course, there is a danger that teachers will simply overwrite them with other content, sell them or otherwise lose them. Having a nominal price may help convey value.

Q5) Best way to update the USB distributions?

Q6) Best method for smart phone direct to projector/TV (when no internet)?
With their own Rachel, teachers can prepare a lesson anywhere (home, during commute, etc.) and then project the lesson at school (whether it be a video or exercise). This is possible but I haven’t researched the options. Anyone have experience with this?

There are laser projectors (no bulb so no maintenance) and WiFi projectors, or Chomecast-like streaming devices (some need router, some don’t) but a TV may be cheaper, more robust & less likely to disappear (?).

Regards,

Brian
https://sparkyandbear.com

3 Likes

Q1) Has anyone tried deploying Rachel primarily as a teachers’ resource? (Server, phone, tablet, laptop, or USB intended for teacher use.)

In many places, this is indeed the primary use for RACHEL

Q2) Is Rachel valued by teachers as a resource for them to learn and prepare lessons?

Yes, probably RACHEL’s primary purpose

Q3) Experience with OTG USB or micro SD to view on smart phones?
My thinking: It is daunting cost-wise to equip many classrooms with 20+ tablets/laptops, but many teachers have personal smart-phones, so providing an OTG USB (On The Go, connects directly to smartphone micro USB) or micro SD card to teachers could be reasonably cost-wise at large scales. (ex. Many companies use USB & USB OTG as promotional giveaways.) [However, not all smart phones are OTG capable, especially the cheaper ones that teachers are likely to have. I have not yet researched that.]

My anecdotal experience is that content gets quickly erased to use the storage medium. USBs quickly become virus transmission devices. We tried using write-protected USBs but have yet to find a truly reliable brand.

Q4) How easy to split existing modules?
To get the content GB size (cost) down, I would like to supply them in either single subject (all grades), single grade (all subjects) or perhaps primary-focused & high school-focused. General references like Wikipedia and dictionaries provided on all. (These packages will be for Indonesia, so Indonesia-language content tied to the curriculum.)
[Since my Indonesian modules will be new, hopefully I can learn how to customize them.]

Not all that easy, especially if you want to create a search database. Check out the Content section of the forum for more info.

Of course, there is a danger that teachers will simply overwrite them with other content, sell them or otherwise lose them. Having a nominal price may help convey value.

Yep

Q5) Best way to update the USB distributions?

Full overwrite We only update the USB annually

Q6) Best method for smart phone direct to projector/TV (when no internet)?
With their own Rachel, teachers can prepare a lesson anywhere (home, during commute, etc.) and then project the lesson at school (whether it be a video or exercise). This is possible but I haven’t researched the options. Anyone have experience with this?

We’ve been toying with the Lenovo Tab 3 Pro for this. It’s a 10" tablet with a built in projector. We love the hardware, need to get more of RACHEL working on Android though.

3 Likes

I have found that teachers use RACHEL far more then students mainly because of the lack of equipment in rural schools. We try to provide at least 2 laptops with led projectors for each school. Teaches then use these with their classes. Class size anything from 50 to 90.
Most of the schools we work with only have the solar power provided by us.

1 Like

Do we charge RACHEL+ with solar power? We are planning to do that. Electricity is not stable in Myanmar (Burma).

I use the Raspberry Pi which takes very little power. I connect it through a fuse box, the sort you find on a lorry or camper van, to a 12Volt battery being charged by a couple of 350Watt solar panels. This provides enough power to charge the laptops, run led strip lights and of course keep the pi running 24/7.
I use 2 220Amp Hour batteries which works well.
In the areas of Zambia where I work, Southern Province, there is no grid power.
Howard

1 Like

I ll share this video from Bridgeit that demonstrate for smartphone to TV (without internet)

1 Like

Yes, but you will require to get the inverter to convert Solar Power from DC to AC and charge as usual. Or if you want to charge directly from the battery (using DC), make sure the battery is of 12 volts and connect Rachel wires to battery terminals to create a circuit.

1 Like

Thank you for the information.

I don’t use AC at all. I convert straight from 12v dc to 19v DC the converter I use can supply 5 amps which is enough to power the led projector as well as the laptops etc.

1 Like

Any block diagrams or schematics of your setup?

Sorry for the delay, I have been unwell.
I will put something together for you by the end of the week

Solar equipment board

This is the board I use to keep things tidy and together.
From left to right top row
Solar controller (40Amp MPPT), Fuse box (lorry or leisure type 12v 6connectors),
MidNite battery level indicator (If the dial led is green ok anything else needs to be checked out)
Below the fuse box is a 12v to 5v converter to power the the Pi Finally the Pi on the right. The case for the Pi has a cover for the SD card that can only be removed by unscrewing the case. This reduces theft of the SD card. The Pi is permanently on.

2 Likes