Help with Installation

Okay, got those installed…just used the following:

sudo apt-get install php5-sqlite
sudo apt-get -y install php-pear
sudo apt-get install php5-dev (required when I tried to install stem)
sudo pecl install stem

Now, the search seems to work, but I’m getting directory errors when I go to an article. In the package, there is (medline, for instance), there is a /en-medline_plus folder, and there’s a /var folder. Do I copy both of these, or just one of them (they appear to be the same thing), and do I need to keep the folder name, and copy to the web root?

Okay, never mind on that last question, I had changed the main folder name (en-medline_plus) and realize that I can’t do that. But, now I’m having an issue with the WIkipedia for Schools and Wiktionary modules. I copied all of the files to the pi, but when I call it up it is a text-based menu and none of the links work. Is there anything special that needs to be done or installed for those modules?

Do you have any idea why the Wiktionary and Wikipedia modules would show as a text-only list instead of the full html that shows online (or previous versions)? I downloaded the modules, extracted the files, and copied the /en-wikipedia_for_schools folder within the /var/modules folder to the root of my pi. I also installed the packages that you listed above, and the other modules seem to work fine (ie: medline plus, health guides, etc.). Am I missing something else for these?

Asking you, too, because I haven’t heard back on my previous questions. Do you have any idea why the Wiktionary and Wikipedia modules would show as a text-only list instead of the full html that shows online (or previous versions)? I downloaded the modules, extracted the files, and copied the /en-wikipedia_for_schools folder within the /var/modules folder to the root of my pi…changed permissions to 755 and owner to pi:root. I also installed the packages that you listed above, and the other modules seem to work fine (ie: medline plus, health guides, etc.). Am I missing something else for these? Is anyone successfully running these modules separate from the Rachel “shell”?

@dkirmis @jfield is off running projects in South Africa for a bit. I’d strongly recommend finding someone on upwork to help out. We unfortunately don’t have the resources to individually troubleshoot these items right now. I really wish we did, we just don’t. I can confirm these modules work when installed correctly.

Is there a document that explains how to install them correctly? What is upwork? Thank you.

No, but it is absolutely something we would love to have laid out in easier terms if you want to contribute to it. Our github hosts the technical scripts that do the original install, so you can go back through them and ‘reverse’ engineer it, but if you’re having trouble with things like server permissions, upwork is probably the best place to start for a linux systems administrator. You can get great technical help there for $15 / hour and be done with this almost instantly.

Without seeing what you’re seeing, it’s hard to be sure, but those modules require that Kiwix is installed and configured to look in the right place. We use a custom startup script for kiwix so that it finds those files.

I think I missed earlier on that you were not working from a RACHEL installation, but a regular PI. That complicates things a bit. The whole idea of RACHEL is to provide a pre-configured setup that gets all this stuff right… it will take some work to redo all that :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response! We are only using a few of the Rachel modules, and we have a whole bunch of our own content built into a website structure that relies on LISTR to build directory listings of that content. I am not sure how I could start with the Rachel shell and rebuild that into it without redesigning our entire site. I assumed that, since you offer the free-standing modules that we could get them to work that way, but if they rely on the Rachel installation, it may not work for us. Thanks for your help.

Ah, I gotcha. I guess it’s just a question of which system is easier to add to the other! I don’t know LISTR so you could be right that adding RACHEL to your setup is the way to go.

It’s certainly possible - all our support code is available on github. Getting the kiwix modules working shouldn’t be that hard… install Kiwix in /var/kiwix and then make sure that it is started at boot with that script I linked above. That should get those modules working.

The last bit would be KA-Lite, which also requires special server software… but maybe you’re not using that module?

Hello @jfield
I’m installing Rachel on ubuntu 14 everything is fine, I just can not get kiwix to launch on ubuntu.

Secondly I have a problem with the “local content” module and I show you the image, any help?

Thank you

For kiwix installation you’d have to check with the kiwix folks. For the local content, you have to run the following command as root:

chmod 777 /var/www/modules/es-file_share/uploads

That is assuming that your modules directory is in /var/www – hope this helps!

Okay, will give it a try. Most of what I’ve found has said that Kiwix doesn’t work on Debian 8 Jessie, which is what we are running. http://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Debian But, may be old info…hard to find anything. We are not using the KA-lite modules at this time. Thank you for the info!

Hello @jfield
Hello, execute the command you mentioned and I do not get better :frowning:

What would be the other solution?

Now I’m having an issue with the World Map…getting an error that it can’t find the map.html…seems to be trying to identify the directory via php? When I go to it, the URL shows this:

10.10.10.10/en-worldmap-10/<?php echo $dir ?>/map.html

I have been putting all of these module directories right in the root /var/www/html. Are all of the Rachel modules supposed to reside in /var/www/modules?

Yes, the modules must be in /var/www/rachel/modules on the RACHEL-Pi so that php processes the files.