NetHope 2017 Device Challenge Introductions

I will let you know if they win a grant.

Yes, I saw your Linux (?) conference video about needing to order 1000 at a time from China and passed that info to them.

I don’t really understand that. The product seems to have been designed a few years ago but apparently they don’t think that it would be commercially successful or what?

Jeremy - thanks so much for submitting this on behalf of the coalition!
For such a major grant, I am not surprised that they would need this for due diligence. Is there any way you can get your previous year’s financials audited in time for the next stage of the grant process? We can provide Lyra’s if needed.
Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to support - it would be wonderful if we got this funding!

April 17, 2017

RE: NetHope 2017 Device Challenge Communications

Dear Jeremy Schwartz,

Thank you for submitting a grant application for the NetHope 2017 Device Challenge program. We appreciate your time and effort to complete this step in the process.

As you know, NetHope received a tremendous response from over 250 organizations submitting 290 applications for this program. Throughout our evaluation process, we’ve been impressed with the many worthy projects and the high quality of applications received. Each application went through a comprehensive evaluation conducted by the NetHope 2017 Device Challenge team along with a review panel consisting of NetHope leaders and other external sector experts, including: a VP of Programs from a non-applying NetHope member organization, a grant officer from a respected international development funding agency, a University of Washington technology and social change researcher, and an ICT4D expert.

While the application from World Possible (targeting the geography of Guatemala, Costa Rica, Tanzania, Kenya, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and USA) was interesting, we regret to inform you that the review panel has not selected it for a grant award.

Because we were unable to award a grant to your project, NetHope would like to offer our assistance in reaching out to other donors who may be interested in providing funding for your project. We are in the process of designing a program to address this potential opportunity and will contact you with more information soon.

Again, we would like to thank you for your interest and participation in the NetHope 2017 Device Challenge. We wish you good luck in future endeavors and hope that you can take advantage of the donor visibility program NetHope is designing. Please keep in touch and look for more information and future programs through the NetHope Solutions Center.

Best regards,
NetHope 2017 Device Challenge Team

Thank you Jeremy, a shame we were not successful this time, but fantastic if they can connect us to other donors. They may not be able to, but it’s often worth asking if they can share any feedback on the proposal too.

I am currently in Tanzania where we are having interesting discussions about what constitutes good teaching. Using RACHEL in schools is a catalyst for engaging teachers to think about matching their teaching to the students’ current capacity. We are encouraging teachers to be bold and not just deliver the syllabus regardless of students’ understanding, but respond to the KA-lite data which shows that students have only a very basic understanding of maths, for example.

We look forward to a successful group application in future!
Naomi

3 Likes

Does it really make sense to target Welwel Secondary when Powering Potential already has a program there? It seems like both organizations have already partnered with the same school before, Banjika Secondary, but I would think that more good could be achieved by going to a school that isn’t already served by another organization.

I could be wrong, but isn’t Gyekrumarusha the G Arusha Secondary School that TabLab is already partnered with? If so, wouldn’t their be a greater need for education technology at some other school?

Is it available for 2018?

I don’t think so unforunately.

Thank you, Jeremy. I’m working from Rachel in Myanmar(Burma). I hope I can find another opportunity. :slight_smile: