RACHEL-Pi on the Pi Zero 2

That’s great that Moodle is working Howard. Hopefully it stays stable across multiple boots!

Thanks @racheljr9

From the output of “ifconfig” and “rfkill list” It looks like wifi is blocked by rfkill. I likely need to set an extra setting around the country code. That was something I had to do on the 3B previous so I’ll look at that again.

You could try “sudo rfkill unblock wifi” and then see if “sudo rfkill list” still shows wifi as blocked. If it’s unblocked you should see it in the output of “ifconfig”. If you don’t, you can try “sudo ifconfig wlan0 up” and see if that fixes it.

If those commands do work they might not stick across reboots so I’ll have to get the wifi setup correct on those.

Thanks again
James

pi@rachel:~ $ sudo rfkill unblock wifi
pi@rachel:~ $ sudo rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: no
        Hard blocked: no

I got it working by adding those commands to the end of /etc/rc.local

rfkill unblock wifi
ifconfig wlan0 up

Awesome! I’ve heard at it’s core the Zero W2 is a stripped 3B so I would not be surprised if whatever fixes one fixes the other.

1 Like

Great! I think that makes sense then. The issue is the country code needing to be being set through raspi-config on the 3B as well as within hostapd. The 4 doesn’t require that, so that would make sense for the Zero 2W.

Here’s a new image

I tested this on a 3B and WIFI worked after the first reboot or when turning wifi off once then on again. On the 4 it doesn’t require that. Hopefully that’s something I can resolve.

James

1 Like

I just installed the new image and it works great so far! Awesome work!

1 Like

Awesome! That’s great. There will be some more features/changes in the official image so there will be some more testing if you’re around. Thanks for the help.

@giakonda hopefully this one works for you too.

1 Like

My pleasure! I’ve enjoyed playing with the different features. Nothing would make me happier then to catch something before it’s in the field where proper technical support might not be available.

1 Like

You guys are so far ahead of me, so a big thank you to you both.
Wendy is in Choma now getting ready for the demo. The delegates are interested in the practicality of RACHEL Pi which I think is awesome.

2 Likes

@racheljr9 - I hope to never make any mistakes haha!

@giakonda - I hope it went well.

1 Like

You will be pleased to hear that the education private secretary has suggested every school in Southern Province should have RACHEL Pi installed. I’ll keep you posted!

3 Likes

That is fantastic news Howard! Please let me know if there’s anything I can help with.

Awesome! It’s a wonderful project. I actually spent a bit of time playing with Blockly. It’s very similar to how I learned Java and Python.

1 Like

You help all the time James, without realising it :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes