Amateur radio module?

Would there be any interest in a Module dedicated to teaching concepts of Amateur radio? I am a extra class amateur radio hobbyist. I wouldn’t be creating the content on my own. I would seek volunteers within my community. My vision for this module would be to provide resources for getting licensed, creation of antennas and operation of equipment. Creating a module although time consuming appears to be quite simple. Before approaching volunteers I would like to understand whether the desire is there on some level and who we would be targeting.

2 Likes

I am also an Extra class, although with everything going on the past 16 months, I haven’t had much time to use my radio. I think it could be useful when kids or adults get a chance to read about it.

I am trying to figure out how to properly get a reciprocal license in Haiti. I’ve been told several things and waiting to go back on the next trip to get it all sorted out. I would like to run FT8 with a map from the school I’m working with.

My though process was that many areas without internet access also rely on radio communications. I figured a “Core” module would handle all the universal radio and electrical concepts. Then Additional region based additions could be added. I suspect some overlap with other modules lik math concept and possible electronic concepts. It could detect other installed modules with overlap like Kahn academy. Those could be presented as “further study” when detected.

EDIT: So far as Haiti I recommend talking to other hams that have operated there. We have many in the community that have helped in that region.

racheljr9

I know this is off the subject for the RACHEL system as far as tutorials and documents to teach radio theory.

I recently came across a HAMPI Raspberry PI load from the KM4ACK and OH8STN (Amrron build) channels.

I have been using the KM4ACK image for a week with a USB sound card and sometimes a GPS module. I’m mostly running Flrig tested on Yaesu FT-450D, FT-817 and FT-891 and wsjtx for FT8. The PI can be powered from the power supply or battery via a 12v to 5v buck converter to the GPIO pins.

–The PI4 runs good booting from a USB drive. However, right now its a use at your own risk scenario.

The image takes 3 to 4 hours to load all of the components you decide to add.

1 Like