Best February 2020 Rachel Pi deployment solution

That’s great. There shouldn’t be any issue with the same process on a RACHEL-Pi but I hope it works out…

Thanks again James. It has worked fine and I now have Rachel running on my 4B4 from a Sandisk Extreme 250Gb SSD. Everything just loads faster.

This is probably more of a linux question than Rachel, but I would really like to copy Rachel/Kolibri modules that I have already downloaded on an sd card to my new SSD rather than downloading again. I guess if I can identify the drive/path(s) I can carefully use dd to do this?

That’s great @TrevorG. A new Raspbian release was just put out today but there’s no sign of USB boot so that’s probably the only USB option on the Pi4 for a while.

There’s a tutorial included with the images called transfering modules with WinSCP. That’s probably the best way to back up modules to a PC to be transfered again. The other option is to make a clone the drive using something like win32disk imager and then open the image file with 7zip. Once inside 7zip there are two files, open the bigger one and you should be able to browse the file system to /var/www/modules and just drag those out to your desktop.

@giakonda has a tutorial on his site about migrating Kolibri data. I’ll try and find the link again.

James

It’s at giakonda.org.uk under resources. I’m going to review it soon so I would welcome your comments

1 Like

@TrevorG I keep the kolibri modules on an external drive using the built in process on kolibri. I then transfer them as required. If you have multiple machines on a network then the network transfer can work well

Upgrading to the new Raspian image and thanks for the kolibri-starter pdf Giakonda. Really clear and easy to follow. I am backing up my Kolibri modules from a 128Gb sd card to a 128 Gb usb which I will use to load further Rachel Pi devices. I am impressed with the loading speed from the Sandisk SSD RPi4B4 combination. I have not tweaked clock speeds. Guess this might add further benefits but also increase device heat.

Hi @giakonda,

I am trying to back up Kolibri content from my sd card to a usb device. Kolibri cannot find the the usb device? I have looked on the Learning Equality forum to see if there might be some guidance on this but I have not really found anything that helps. My RPi4B4 is booting from the sd card with Rachel and Kolibri modules etc. The USB device is plugged in to one of the usb3 slots. Any ideas on why Kolibri might not be able to recognise the usb?

Some usb devices are setup with the exfat file system if that is the case then Raspbian won’t read it without first installing the software:
sudo update
sudo upgrade
sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
Give this a try
@TrevorG

Hi @jamesk
Can my colleagues get the latest RACHEL-Pi image on the ftp.worldpossible.com site.
I’m not sure how they can find them.
Thanks

Hi @giakonda,

The latest RACHEL-Pi images are at /rachelpi_64EN/rachelpi_2019/ on the FTP. The links in the RACHEL-Pi downloads page all connect directly to the FTP as well. http://rachelfriends.org/downloads/public_ftp/rachelpi_64EN/rachelpi_2019/rachel-pi_kolibri-09_26_2019.7z for instance. Hope that helps.

James

Thanks James, I was getting confused!

You’re welcome Howard. I’m going to upload a new image that’s just an update to the latest 02-13-2020 Raspbian Lite soon with the latest Kiwix and a few fixes around that. I’m curious, what languages do the students speak in the places you deploy to?

James

Hi James @jamesk
Bembe, IciNyanja and ChiTonga

1 Like

Thanks @giakonda. I am implementing a translation module and was hoping to support languages that would be useful in your deployments but unfortunately those are not available.

A new image is available at the images post. I’d appreciate any feedback if you get a chance to try it. I have written and implemented a new script that handles the Kiwix library so you shouldn’t need to be reboot to see Wikipedia module changes anymore. I’m going to tag @SHOMI as well. I will be adding another image with new modules soon.

James

2 Likes

Hi James, The languages are available on African Story Books, Teachers use them for there hour of reading sessions which go down extremely well.

That’s great Howard! I am implementing a translator similar to google translate. It comes with many default languages but requires more work for installing extra ones so I was just looking to see if those were available.

James

1 Like

Hi @jamesk
The latest image you have produced is working well on the Pi4

1 Like

Thanks @giakonda. I appreciate the feedback. I am working on a new image now with some experimental modules. Do you have any experience with Moodle?

@jamesk not much I’m afraid, one of our schools has installed it on their Pi3 but I think that was by way of an experiment.

1 Like

Hi @giakonda and @shomi. I just wanted to let you know that there is likely an issue with migrating Kolibri user data with usb drives on the latest RACHEL-Pi image that was mentioned by a user on the Learning Equality forums. I will be releasing a new image that hopefully fixes that. I’ll let you know when it’s available.

James

1 Like