Best February 2020 Rachel Pi deployment solution

Hi @jamesk I tried moodle on the latest image but I got a missing page error
Kind Regards Howard

Hi Howard,

Moodle is not yet supported. I have it installed on another image that I will hopefully be able to release. I’m just making sure it’s okay to do so. It will require a new moodle module that has the latest version.

James

Thanks James, I was going to give it a try but that can wait.
Howard

Hi Howard,

Sorry about that. I am planning to release a new image with moodle but I came across a post on the Learning Equality forums about a USB device issue in Kolibri with the latest RACHEL-Pi image. There is a new image at ftp://dev.worldpossible.org/rachelpi_64EN/rachelpi_2020/beta2.7z but it now includes usbmount to automatically mount USB devices which hopefully lets Kolibri see USB devices for importing content. I would appreciate any feedback you can give on this as well, especially if you’re booting from a USB device.

If you do try it, one thing to look out for is not having a USB device plugged in at boot if you’re not booting from it. If you wait until you can see RACHEL and then insert it, you should see it in the Hardware page of the admin interface.

James

Hi James, I have downloaded and installed beta2.7. I created a Kolibri site and added TESSA as a test and that all went well.
With Moodle the download stalled on the last file.

The moodle maker downloaded successfully I uninstalled moodle then tried againbut got the same error.

Oops I meant module maker not moodle maker
When I click on Moodle I get
Everything else I have tried has worked, oops I lie, I haven’t been able to download the phonics module. Though with this I set it up on a laptop with LAMP and it just worked!
Hope this helps
Howard

Hi Howard,

Still no Moodle on this image. This is just an image that contains fixes for the Kolibri USB issues. Moodle will be included with a new image as a new module when it’s ready. It may be a week or two. It looks like everything else is working with this though so that’s good! Thanks for testing it!

James

Thank you James, for your excellent work, it is my pleasure to help
Howard

1 Like

Thanks Howard. I appreciate the kind words.

The latest image and tutorials are up at the main image downloads post. This is the same as the beta2 image if you’ve got that already. It seems that the Kolibri issues are fixed!

I hope you’re all doing well during this very tough time. On the bright side of things, I will have a lot of time to be programming and will try to get an image with moodle, Apertium, and MineTest out to you this week. If there is anything I can do that could be helpful to you or anyone else, please let me know!

James

1 Like

is there any chance to use syncthing in RACHEL Pi 64 en? i use raspberry pi 3 model B in 6 different location, my principal ask me if we can use it remotely with internet dogle usb to collect file in the fileshare module? we use it to collect student home works or can we use it remotely? i got an error when to try sudo apt-get update… dan cannot install apt-transport-https

If you use Kolibri the modules can be updated by accessing modules downloaded from another computer with internet access and moving those modules to a usb stick or drive.

There’s a new RACHEL-Pi image up at rachel-pi_09_11_2020.

I don’t have enough devices here to test the possible wifi firmware bug where access points can only handle 5-8 devices at a time. @giakonda @shomi or @andrewc do you think you could try this image out with as many devices as possible and let me know if it works?

If all is good then I will then package it properly and make another pi4 specific image with the experimental USB booting feature. Thanks.

James

1 Like

Jamesk

I loaded the new image to an external ssd on a 3B+.
I am able to see the Rachel home page connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

I am not seeing the RACHEL hotspot.

Attaching a couple of screen shots.

RACHEL Admin Ver RACHEL Homepage IMG_20200912_135634

Jamesk

I am connected to my router with an ethernet cable.
I am seeing an error when searching the modules to install.

RACHEL Modules

@SHOMI could you try running the command “sudo rfkill unblock wifi” and see if it works then?

I think this is a bug with building on the pi4 and running it on other pis.

jamesk

The “sudo rfkill unblock wifi” and a reboot turned the hotspot on.

That should fix the errors you’re seeing at boot.

Are modules installing now? I did notice that the world possible servers seemed to be down for a bit yesterday.

The modules are now installing.

1 Like

I will start tomorrow, it’s 11:35pm here now :slight_smile:

1 Like