Captive portal for user monitoring

Dear Rachel community,

I would like to monitor the usage of the raspberry pi with Rachel installed on it based on user credential. Devices in schools are shared and I would like to track that every student works regularly with Rachel Pi without having to ask the teacher to report manually. So I would like to install on Rachel Pi a captive portal with credential so that I could get later information on usage per student.
As anyone tried to installed a captive portal like coovachilli or others?

Thank you in advance!
Thomas

2 Likes

Hi @thomaslg – that’s an interesting solution that I hadn’t really thought through as a way to monitor usage without a full on LMS (which KA-Lite does mimic on RACHEL). Please let me know if you may progress. @sujay is also looking for this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag Jeremy.

Thomas, I am working on creating a captive portal. Will let you know once/if I get something working. I also want to monitor usage in an automated way to ask various research questions. So, please share if you make any progress.

1 Like

Hello @thomaslg (sorry Jeremy I can’t mention you) and @sujay, we are interested too in this.

Is there any advance in the development? Is the package hosted somewhere?

Best regards and thanks,
Xavier.

Hey @bustawin, Yes, I started working with a friend to develop a usage monitoring system. We have now made a web app to run it on mac or PC and just this morning, we made it work on a pi. It has a GUI for an admin (head master or a teacher for e.g.) to create groups (representing grade5 or grade 6 for e.g.) and assign user id/pw for students (which can be tagged with student info - gender, distance to school etc.). The program doesn’t have any modules, but there is a way to add modules. So, you can just pick modules (Kalite or wiki or whatever) from Rachel’s repo and add it into the system. As long as the module uses a web browser, the usage monitoring will work. We are using Django for the webapp and postgresSQL for the database. There are still few things to sort out. Once it’s complete it will be made open access. I will share it here if you want. I am looking at a a week or a bit more. I will be heading to Nepal on Aug 25th with it, so it has to be ready before then for sure.

1 Like

Hey @bustawin, you can pull the code from this repo here: https://gitlab.com/connorbode/open-library

It has instructions to set up a webapp on a PC or on a pi. You can then add modules to the library. In the context of Nepal there is an open access learning toolkit called epaath which is what I am using. I have also added ‘learning algebra’ module from Rachel pi’s module repository.

@jeremy I am trying to include Rachel pi’s KAlite module into my open-library setup, but I am having some trouble as it is not html based. It is a python application. I am wondering how much work it would be to assimilate those videos on a html platform?

1 Like

Hi Sujay – our KA-Lite pack is just the videos and a pre-scanned database which requires KA-Lite to be separately installed and configured. I would start with a clean KA-lite install from foundation for learning equality.

It turns out that all the static modules are usable without any extra work. KA on a stick does the job.