Create and Use and USB Recovery

@joshuawagner Yeah, sorry about any image naming confusion. We are in the middle of making it easier to know which image you need for the CAP model you own. As such, RACHEL_Recovery_USB_1-2-16_v9.2.0_20170420.img is zipped as CAPv1_RACHEL_Recovery_USB_20170420.img.zip to identify it as a CAPv1 image.

@gkholman For future reference, web installs of modules are convenient for 1 or 2. However, if you want to install multiple modules at once, the core modules of a particular language, or you have a list of modules of that you want to install, it’s best to follow this wiki page on adding/updating content.

It has taken a year and a week, but I finally have the RACHEL box from Tanzania and I have used Method 3 to recover the old 2015 box into a system with zero modules. Just like before, and I thought everything was going okay.

Unfortunately, in the module interface, all of the rsync commands are trying to find content at a non-existent IP address … how can I configure the update to rsync with the WorldPossible server?

This is an example of what I’m seeing in the Install tab:

en-kalite failed
command: rsync -Pav rsync://192.168.1.10/rachelmods/en-kalite /media/RACHEL/rachel/modules/
runtime: 17:49 failed
files_done: 0 out of 55762 ( 0% )
data_done: 0 out of 42210768 ( 0% )
data_rate: 0
latest output:

rsync: failed to connect to 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.10): Connection timed out (110)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122) [Receiver=3.0.9]

So what I need to configure is a proper address for WorldPossible instead of 192.168.1.10.

Where do I do that and which IP address do I use?

Sadly, I’m constrained by time, because the box is going back to TZ in three days!

Thanks for your guidance!

. . . . . . Ken

Hi Ken,

On the USB file structure, there is a file labeled autoinstall-server

In that file you should remove 192.168.1.10 and re-use the USB stick.

I beleive that’s your issue. If there is no text in the file autoinstall-server, you can try adding the text dev.worldpossible.org and resaving the file. Then reformat the device with the USB. The default should have been dev.worldpossible.org

Thank you, Jeremy! That is what was needed to get the install started. I began the process overnight.

This morning I find that the install process is marked “stalled”:

en-wikipedia stalled
5.75MB/s
command: rsync -Pavz rsync://dev.worldpossible.org/rachelmods/en-wikipedia /media/RACHEL/rachel/modules/
runtime: 6:12:13 stalled
files_done: 27 out of 46 ( 59% )
data_done: 47471895 out of 82634204 ( 57% )
data_rate: 5.75MB/s
latest output:

2097152000 100% 4.31MB/s 0:07:44 (xfer#27, to-check=20/52)
376700928 17% 5.75MB/s 0:04:52

I’ve restarted the device, and the rsync is still stalled. A search of the community site hasn’t helped.

Any ideas? Thanks, again, for the guidance.

. . . Ken

I simply cancelled all and I’m now downloading the individual models through the list picker. This appears to be working just fine.

1 Like

Will this usb image work for a RACHEL Pi that became a brick? both partitions are there. if this image will not work what can I do to get it back booting, again?

No sorry kmw! you can use this: http://rachelfriends.org/rachel-pi-howto.html and just create a new microSD card.