Creating and Adding Content

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this group (just joined) and have a few questions with regards to the Rachel server. Can uploaded content, such as videos or books in Khmer language, be accessed by mobile devices using wireless? Also I have read in this group that you can create a module, I am curious to know exactly what is meant by module. Is it a website that can be uploaded onto the server? Finally, Is it possible to use tethering hotspot to create an offline local wireless network or can you recommend the best way to create an offline network in the absence of a router?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your replies. We are very interested in bringing the Rachel server to rural Cambodia.

Best regards

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

As far as I know, we can upload the contents in 2 ways: by creating a module (or) by a teacher account.

Is it a website that can be uploaded onto the server?

Yes. you can see those here: http://oer2go.org/
A website with PHP.

Kind Regards,
Khine Lay

Hi Khinelay,

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand that if we want to create a module in Khmer language then we can ask admin to help upload onto the Rachel server. Do you know if in the teachers account we can add videos or pdf books in Khmer language?

Thanks once again.

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

You’re welcome, Ryan. I am not sure about the ‘Rachel Server’. Other experienced members will answer that question.

At first, I thought you asked about the ‘Rachel+ device’. If you have ‘Rachel+ device’, you do not need to ask the admin to upload the module. You can access that device by yourself and upload those modules. From the teachers account, we can add videos and pdf books.

Kind Regards,
Khinelay

Hi Khinelay,

Are mobile devices such as tablets and smart phones able to connect to the Rachel+ device?

Best regards

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Yes, mobile devices are able to connect the Rachel+ device.

Kind Regards,
Khinelay

Thank you Khinelay for all of your kind help.

Best regards

Ryan

You’re welcome, Ryan. I’m also developing the Rachel+ contents for my country, Myanmar (Burma). So, If you need anything, let me know. I can answer if I know. :blush:

Thank you Khinelay! I actually have another inquiry. What exactly is needed to create a offline local wireless network? Is it already built into the Rachel plus or is it something we need to provide/ create ourselves?

Best regards

Ryan

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

You can either connect to the Rachel plus device directly:

• Connect to WiFI (RACHEL or RACHEL-5G)
  • In your browser, type http://my.content or 192.168.88.1

Or, you can add the device to your existing network, via Ethernet cable and leverage your WiFi router and connecting to the device by the IP address the WiFi router assigns (assuming your router has DHCP enabled, as most home routers do by default).

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply and sorry for my delayed response. To connect to the Rachel plus device directly would be our best option for our situation as the schools do not have any existing networks/ no wifi. This means the Rachel plus has it’s own in built router and no additional equipment is needed?

Best regards

Ryan

You can either connect to the Rachel plus directly from your client device via Wi-Fi. If you want devices that do not have WiFi to connect, then you need a router (with DHCP capability (very common feature for routers)) and ethernet cables for each related device.

Connect to WiFI (RACHEL or RACHEL-5G)
In your browser, type http://my.content or 192.168.88.1

Thank you Steve. Once I have connected a device, such as tablet for instance using a wifi connection, the students will be good to go and access all of the content on the rachel plus? We are trying to turn our tablets into digital libraries for the students to use for research ect.

Best regards

Ryan

Make sure the devices have compatible browsers. I believe most will for general content, but some videos and other features are less compatible. I am not so well versed on this specific compatibility, but some on this form are, and I believe have posed info.

That is great thanks Steve. I will do some more digging in the forum.

Best regards

Ryan

Hi Khinelay,

We are going to have a meeting with regards to the buying 4 Rachel servers in Ratanakiri, Cambodia. How easy is it to upload content? Do you know where there is a step by step guide?

Best regards

Ryan

1 Like

Hi Ryan, Nicole from World Possible here. We do have a video tour of RACHEL-Plus that I recommend checking out for uploading content. It’s not for creating a whole RACHEL module, which is more advanced, but we do have a content portal that makes it easy for teachers and administrators to upload videos, books, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1676&v=vDlNpLYvFB8.

Starting around minute 23, you’ll see an introduction to the admin panel and all the features there, including our easy content upload system.

1 Like

Thank you very much Nicole, the video was very helpful. I read on the forum that World Possible admin are able to assist in creating modules if provided with websites. I am a bit confused, in one conversation it mentioned the services are free of charge where as in another conversation it mentioned that for admin to help upload modules the cost was $100 dollars. Ultimately I wish to learn to create a module by myself which I will do more research. We are very interested in the Rachel+. I am currently working for CARE International Cambodia and we wish to purchase four for our ICT pilot schools. However, if everything works out, there are many more schools and projects which will benefit from the product.

Best regards

Ryan

Hi Ryan, thanks for your message. I have been in touch with some staff at CARE recently, and just spoke the other week with some of your colleagues in D.C. and Morocco. I’d be happy to speak more if you have more questions!

For adding new content, if you find openly licensed content that you wish to turn into a RACHEL module, you are welcome to create a module yourself, or share it with us and we will evaluate how long it would take to create a module. Sometimes we are able to do it for free (if it is content that will be useful for a lot of our users, and/or quick to create), and sometimes we charge a fee for more complex modules that are specific to one partner.

Feel free to contact me at nicole@worldpossible.org if you’d like to find a time to speak!

Thanks,
Nicole