IFixit and Vikipedia links drawing blank

Hello,

is there an issue with some of these modules in the 6-17 image?
i open up Ifixit, Vikipedia and Englis Children’s Storybooks and all links draw a blank page.

What device are you accessing the modules on? A RACHEL-Plus? Do you have the MAC on the back you can provide?

I’m runnng Rachel in a virtualized mint linux install [oracle virtualbox].
Would that have a mac address? If so can you show me how to retrieve that?

I’ve downloaded/installed both from the live server and checked over their code. They’re both functioning normally and loading in Kiwix without issue.

If you’ve manually copied them over you’ll need to hide a module in the modules tab and hit save to trigger rebuilding the Kiwix library to reflect the changes. The rebuilding also happens when the device is rebooted but since you’re running in a VM it might not really be rebooting and just saving the state.

If that’s not it then you’ll need to check to see if Kiwix is running and check the library XML file at /var/kiwix/ to see if those entries are in it.

1 Like

I had no idea about the Ifixit module. That’s pretty cool. I may have to test that one.

1 Like

Is the iFixit only able to be run on RachelPi or can this be ran on usb device for offline use?

ifixit uses a ZIM file from Kiwix. The RACHEL-Plus and Pi provide an offline Kiwix server to share those files. To use it on a USB stick you would need to install Kiwix’s desktop software and load the ZIM file into it.

Thank you James for your response. I am unable to find a guide on how to go about doing this process. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction on where I can find this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,

1 Like

Follow up question,
How would I link this file (kiwix-desktop_windows_x64_2.3.1-2) to Rachel USB?
Best Regards,

Hi @Adan_Lopez,

There is no integration between the two. Any premade RACHEL USB stick is very old and I don’t suggest using it. In this setup the USB stick is only to store files. The Kiwix Desktop software needs to be installed on a PC and the .ZIM files are opened by using the folder icon on the top right within Kiwix Desktop. You can download these .ZIM files from Kiwix directly in their software as well.

James