Issue with RACHEL-Pi download

Hello there,

I’m having problems when I try to download RACHELl-Pi. In Unix OS, shows me the following message:
rsync: failed to connect to worldpossible.org (198.49.23.145): Connection timed out (110)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(125) [Receiver=3.1.2]

Also, when I tried in Windows OS to download through FileZilla; and I try to open the .ISO, it shows me that the file is corrupt. Please, I need help to download RACHEL-PI in English and Spanish

Hello George, it seems like you were successful in downloading the image via FTP, but then tried to “open” the .ISO.

ISO files need to be “burned” to another medium in windows and can’t just be opened. Which instruction set are you following to obtain RACHEL-Pi images?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy,

I appreciate your fast response. I have been able to download and burn all RACHEL-Pi data in a USB drive. But, I have another question: Could I copy all the information I have now into a Linux computer, and run it? Would it be just copying the info, or do I need to do something else?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you

Hi @georgefarray – it unfortunately doesn’t work that way. Where are you getting your instructions now so I can better direct you?

Hi @jeremy,

I work for Housing Authority of City of Austin (HACA), and we want to offer your software to our residents. We had done it once with Rachel (2016), but we want to update it!
We would like to save time and have most of the modules in a same place. How could we have the 64Gb version of its modules inside a Linux OS in a desktop computer, without downloading module by module?

Thanks

@jamesk – is it possible your scripts will work to support a straight ubuntu install?

@georgefarray – which version of linux are you using. Since 2016, much of the RACHEL content has become interactive, which means it requires installing software, not just modules.

The RACHEL-Pi image contains a full operating system, including that software, which can’t just be transferred, it has to be reinstalled on your Linux OS.

I have pinged a volunteer @jamesk – who has developed scripts, or expedited ways of installing lots of the needed software, he may be able to help.

Best,
jeremy

Hello, @jeremy!!

Thanks for providing the information about Mr. @jamesk , defiantly I will be appreciated if I can get some assistant from him.
We are using the Ubuntu 18.04 version in our desktops, It would be great that if Mr. @jamesk, helps us with the software and modules installation, in these computers.

We appreciate a lot your support!

@jeremy I have had the installer running on Ubuntu but the wifi adapter used may be an issue. I’ll have to get details on their setup.

hello @georgefarray,

I can help you with this.The best way to set up RACHEL so that you only need to download modules once is to create a server. The RACHEL-Pi image turns a Raspberry Pi into a server with everything necessary included and then modules are downloaded and installed to it. Other devices can then connect to it either over WIFI or a direct connection.

Is this what you’re looking to do with an Ubuntu Desktop? If so, will the other computers be connecting over wifi or through a router?

James

They actually aren’t planning on using a server, but rather installing all of RACHEL onto devices which function like clients. They hand out laptops to individuals not on a network at all if I remember correctly.

Ah okay that makes it easier. I’ll set up a script with that in mind and post it when it’s done.

James

Awesome, thanks!

@jeremy is right! Residents computers work without internet. Looks like the script is the solution!!
I’m looking forward to hearing from the script. Thanks, @jamesk!

Omar George

Hello Again,

I’ve created an installer that will install RACHEL locally on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS desktop. The image I used to test was ubuntu-18.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso downloaded from https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop. I hope it works! if you have any questions or problems please let me know.

Preparing the system

1. open a terminal
  2. sudo apt-get install python
  3. sudo apt-get update
  4. sudo apt-get upgrade
  5. sudo reboot now

Running the Installer

1. Download ubuntu_local.zip
  2. Unzip it and place the “installer” folder in the /var/tmp directory
  3. Open a terminal
  4. sudo python /var/tmp/installer/installer.py
  5. When it’s complete type sudo reboot now to reboot the system

RACHEL is now available at “localhost”, “127.0.0.1”, “http://rachel”, or “www.rachel.com”. You just have to type one of those into the browser and it should load.

Installing modules

This installation will have RACHEL and Kolibri so this readme file has instructions on what modules are supported and how to install modules.

The script will also copy any modules in the “installer/modules” directory to /var/www/modules during installation so you can put modules you want installed there and it should copy them.

If all of the laptops are the same I would suggest making one laptop installation with all of the modules and then use a program like Clonezilla to make an image of that system and install it to the others to save time.

Amazing! Thanks for your great help, @jamesk! I will follow your instructions, and I will share the feedback.
Thanks again!

You’re welcome. Hope it works for you!

Hi James, @jamesk ran the script on raspbian for pc (not the April 2019 version) which seemed to be ok except php7.2 failed with message:
E: Unable to locate package php7.2
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob 'php7.1
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex 'php7.1

I ran installed php which installed version 7.0 but the web page at 127.0.0.1 failed to load fully, I guess that’s due to the differences between 7.0 and 7.2
Any idea how to get php7.2 on raspbian desktop?

Hi Howard,

The rachel installer changes /etc/hosts so if you didn’t use the installer for that part then 127.0.0.1 might not work. Ubuntu is at php 7.2 while Raspbian is still at 7.0 but rachel’s php code should be compatible with both versions. The installer just needs anything with “7.2” to be “7.0”. Can you try this installer.

James

Thanks James I’ll try that

Hi James, Sorry to say I had the same issue again. I’m off to Zambia on Tuesday so I’ll look at it again when I get back. Around the 3rd of July.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Kind Regards
Howard