Moodle on RACHEL?

yes the device works well - had to use the older image as mentioned before. Tx for your support! RD

2 Likes

I would like to use Moodle on the CAP 2.0 described below.

1. What version of the USB Recover/Update should I use?
  2. Should I do anything else such as removing and reinstalling Moodle?

Thanks, Ed

Hardware: Intel CAP 2.0 (x86_64) Device ID: A4AF94
RACHEL Installer: v2.0.0
KA Lite 0.17.0
Kiwix 0.9
Content Shell: v2.3.5

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Moodle should be installed if you use CAP2_RACHEL_Recovery_USB_2.3.0.img.zip ā€“ you should not have to add/remove anything as the recovery should install a fresh copy. However Iā€™ve heard reports that Moodle may require you to have access to a working email address to complete setup. Just something to be aware of.

1 Like

We have the new RACHEL v3.0 which has Moodle installed, but I canā€™t find a way to get into the Moodle Admin account so that I can set up users and create courses. There is a reference to logging in to online Moodle manager somehow, but that wonā€™t work with a non-internet connected device. Can anyone tell me what admin password was used to install Moodle on these new devices?

1 Like

Hi @LeonA ā€“ I donā€™t see why we would have used a password, but if we had to, it would have been admin / Rachel+1.

I myself havenā€™t figured out how to use Moodle, but I just generally donā€™t know how to use it. I would love to see progress made on this though, so please let me know if youā€™re able to.

1 Like

I tried those default user/password, but it didnā€™t work. I suspect someone initially installed Moodle and applied differenct account credentials. Iā€™ll check with some of my former colleagues and see if I can find some way to crack it. Iā€™ve taught college courses on Moodle and some of its competing platforms, and even served as a user-side admin for one, so I understand how an online course delivery platform should work. But this seems to be stuck in the ā€œstudentā€ view mode and wonā€™t allow me to create a brand new course or enroll students. If I find a break-through, I will be sure to report back.
UPDATE:
After resetting everything and consulting some former Moodle server administrator friends, I finally managed to get into the Moodle admin account without needing a live internet connection. This may help others" - -the Moodle admin is "admin@localhost.com" and password is ā€œRachel+1ā€. From there you can create new users and assign roles of Course Creator, Teacher, Student, etc, then create a new course, edit it, enroll users, and add content.

3 Likes

Hi Leon - this is really interesting to me. Do you know how students can get enrolled without having an e-mail account? Would Moodle work without email access?

1 Like

Jeremy,
Yes, Moodle will work without email or internet access, providing an admin (or teacher/course creator) has set up the course to allow either manual or self-enrollments. [Teacher could enroll students one by one, or you can allow students to self-enroll.] It does ask for studentā€™s email address which would normally be used to notify students/faculty of assignment deadlines, announcements, etc. However, one can use a :ā€œfakeā€ email when enrolling and realize that email notifications wonā€™t work then. Another alternative for some applications would be to allow all the students to access the course as ā€œguestā€ if you donā€™t need to track individual student progress or grades. In other words, it can work similar to KA-Lite guest mode where all the course resources are available to non-logged-in users.
A nice thing about Moodle is that there are hundreds/thousands of ā€œfreeā€ courses already available from various open source education sites (and some textbook publishers) that can be downloaded and imported into the RACHEL for local use.

2 Likes

Thanks, @LeonA ā€“ Iā€™ve seen those course repositories but been totally stumped on how to get them into RACHEL. If you make some progress on this, Iā€™d be really interested to see it in action!

3 Likes

Hello All,

i have installed Rachel Pi on a RPI3 B and i canā€™t find Moodle on it. Do i have to download that separately from the main site?

1 Like

Hi @walash

Moodle isnā€™t supported on the RACHEL-Pi images. Itā€™s a separate service that hasnā€™t been implemented. Have you tried using Kolibri instead?

James

1 Like

How many concurrent users can use Moodle in Rachel 3?

I am planning to use it. Do you use MoodleBox or Moodle?

Moodle itself doesnā€™t present the limitation, it is a hardware limit of 50 concurrent connections and performance issues depending on the content being served over WiFi. It is best to split the users between the 2 different WiFi Signals.

1 Like

Hi LeonA, would you be kind enough to provide some links to those online free Moodle repositories? I have searched, but so far found almost nothing, just a few very limited downloads on Moodle.net.

1 Like

Brian, Moodle.net is a good source, but I believe they are migrating to moodle.com. Search for ā€œfree or open moodle course downloadsā€ and you should find several sites. Also many colleges/universities offer moodle courses and some allow the course modules to be downloaded. Iā€™m now retired so I donā€™t have access to the RACHEL Plus units I installed in Africa.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found some downloadable courses here: http://atep.techlit.org/course/index.php?categoryid=6

Thanks @khinelay! Iā€™ll try my luck with them. :smile:

1 Like

Hi guys,

Iā€™d like to use the Moodle installation on RACHEL. Any chance you could send some instructions for updating Moodle to a more recent version?
Thanks,
Dana

Hi @Dana,

What version of RACHEL are you currently using and what version of Moodle is installed?

James

RACHEL

Moodle version 3.1.6