New math resource (EN): problem solving and assessment

I am the Executive Director of the non-profit AppleSTEM (www.applestem.org). We are a US-based 501©3 organization that develops and makes available at no cost digital math and science education resources. Our emphasis is on problem solving and assessment: diagnostic, formative, and summative. We currently have available a mathematics module, mathAscend, that can be used by students to develop their math problem-solving skills in Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. Teachers and/or parents can use mathAscend to monitor student learning and skills development.

We would like for other organizations, especially those that focus on under-served populations, to use mathAscend as part of their math curricula, but believe that its web-based format might prove to be a barrier for adoption. In our present situation, we do not have the capacity to convert mathAscend into an offline resource. We are hoping that members of the Rachel community might be able to offer us advice as to how we should best proceed in our efforts to improve student learning worldwide.

If you are interested in checking out mathAscend in more detail, you can go to our homepage (www.applestem.org) and click on “Visit the Homeschool Site.” Here you can try a few demo modules to see how mathAscend engages students in problem solving or you can click “Sign Up” to create your own account.

Best regards,

Dan Domin

2 Likes

Dr. Domin,

Thank you for reaching out to World Possible.

I tried the demo for schools, but could not sign in. I have requested a teacher or demo code through your contact form.

Our one programmer at World Possible is currently backed up with other work, but I would be interested in discussing how we might be able to install the school program on a Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit) server. Of course we would need permission to do this a distribute it to World Possible users around the world.

I think the formative assessment could be very useful. Although we have KA-Lite working well, I do not know when we will be able to get the diagnostic tests and formative assessment.

We currently are running parallel servers including Apache for HTML content, Kiwix-serve for ZIM archives such as Wikipedia, and the special server for KA-Lite. We allocate to each server its own Internet Port, i.e. 80 for Apache, 81 for Kiwix serve, etc. We are working on adding an email server that works with a relay to Internet connection and a Moodle server. We do not expect all customers to use all of these servers.

It would be best for us if your content could be added to the Apache server. Alternatively, you might what to add it to the Kolibri server being released this fall by Learning Equality. The Kolibri server will have the same functionality for outside content that is currently used for KA-Lite, plus some additional content distribution and replication features.

You can e-mail me directly at ed@worldpossible.org .

Best regards, Ed Resor, Board member and coordinator for East Africa

1 Like