Pi 4 - Quad core, 4gb Ram

There’s a new Pi out

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

3 Likes

I just saw this and the specs look good. More RAM if you choose it, mipi-dsi, and a USB3 port are the most interesting to me. It may have vastly improved speeds with USB booting and mipi-dsi could make it an ideal board for building PCs to use with RACHEL as it would support more LCD panels. It may also improve RACHEL-Pi servers.

Unfortunately it’s out of stock right now so if anyone gets a chance to try the RACHEL-Pi images out with one that would be great. I will do an update to the pi images to match any updated OS for this when I get one.

Still no power button though :thinking:

1 Like

Well I’ve got a 4gb and a couple of 2gb models. I thought I’d try to get it running off a WD Pi drive and see how good the usb 3 is…

Of course I may need the new system…

I have plugged in the latest Pi/Kolibri image for the Pi3B+ but could not get it to boot on the Pi4 :frowning:

1 Like

I’m on a wait list for the 4GB version of the pi 4 as it seems like early stock was limited. For an official image release I’m waiting until I have one so I can be sure everything works but I can make a Raspbian Buster image with my 3B+ and see if that works for you. Might be a few days as I’m trying to get internet archive working.

I decided to work from buster so I’m at the latest version of everything. I made an image. It’s untested with a pi 4 but can you see if this works? rachel-pi_kolibri_buster_unofficial.7z

I’ll try it today and let you know
Howard

Yep so far so good. I’m downloading some content then I’ll see if this image works with the other Pis.
Well done again James
Howard

Great! Thanks for testing Howard. I hope everything is working with the pi 4. It will be interesting to see what more RAM and USB3.0 do for speeds. The downsides of the pi4 seem to be the power consumption and heat. From a RACHEL standpoint there wasn’t too much different but it’s now at PHP 7.3 and I had to make some changes for it. I’ll make an official image with some other updates when I get mine.

James

It’s working fine James. I’m still downloading content, my broadband is not so broad. I have set up Kolibri and imported the African Story Books in the languages most used in Southern Province, Zambia. We have put RACHEL powered by solar in 17 schools and a further 20 or so have gone into schools with power. The local DEBS (District Education Board Secretaries) are very impressed with Kolibri. We are in the process of writing up our last visit, which was more of a impact assessment / monitoring exercise, I’ll post a copy when it’s done. I don’t think there is a heat problem and the 3 amps power required is well below our limit on the solar system. I will test it with 20/30 laptops running videos but the only bottleneck I envisage is the initial logging on. That seems to require a staggered start on the Pi 3b+ with 22 laptops.
I’m quite excited by the possibilities of the new Pi. Still need good cheap 12/19 volt monitors.
Howard

1 Like

I can confirm 07/04/19 image works fine on the model 4+
Howard

2 Likes

I am delighted to say the 07/04/19 image also works on the Pi3B+
Well done James
Howard

1 Like

Thanks Howard. I’m happy everything is working on multiple boards and I’m excited to get a Pi 4 myself and see what it’s capable of. The work you’re doing with these schools is really amazing. I will be back looking at LCD panel options with the Pi 4 to see what can be done for the monitor problem and hopefully it can support more than the default Raspberry Pi screens so whole labs can be built around these.

James

@jamesk

Thanks for the updated PI4 image. I have been downloading modules and testing as well on a 4GB PI. So far, so good.
I will say this does run hotter at 145 - 147 F while downloading.

You’re welcome @SHOMI. Thanks for reporting on this. I think a good case with a fan is a good idea with these but the system won’t shut off until around 176f.

James

@jamesk

I did notice that when I changed the server password via putty ssh, I could only get in via ssh and console would not allow me to log in. And if I changed the console, putty ssh would not allow me to log in. I didn’t have any problems on the other RACHEL IOS.

I was also wondering where to go to change the GUI admin password if someone would change it while deployed.

Thanks
Don

Hi Don,

I’ll take a look at system/ssh password stuff today. The admin password for the UI should be changable on the “settings” page of the admin interface.

James

Are you using raspi-config or passwd to change the password?

@jamesk

I was logged into the cli via ssh and changed the password and tried on another microsd connected to the PI. Each one would allow access via that method but locked out the other.

On the Stretch load it worked either way and didn’t lock me out.

Also, on the UI admin password, I was just looking at it as if a teacher or someone would change the password and forget it. Is there a way to login via ssh and unlock it or would it be easier to reload the drive.