Pi 4 - Quad core, 4gb Ram

Hi James, I followed your instructions and everything was fine. I have tested the RACHEL install and that is working well. I have not yet tried Kolibri, My bandwidth is very poor. I’ll let you know how that goes in the week sometime.
Thanks again for your work.
Kind Regards
Howard

1 Like

There was one thing actually James. The paper size on the pdfs did give me a bit of a challenge. It was difficult to fix them to A4, the size I use here. I had to convert the documents to word format before I could print them. Strange but true.

1 Like

I loaded it to a PI 4 Saturday night and so far its working good. So far from what I was able to do with Kolibri seemed to work fine, but I haven’t had a chance to download everything.

1 Like

I’ve created a admin and downloaded the usual suspects, all looks ok. The only thing I thought could be added is the administration of Kolibri is via port 9090.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m glad it’s working.

@giakonda I can make different version of the tutorials that has proper page separations and in A4 if you’d like. I thought they’d only be read on PC but I guess printing them would be useful. I really wanted to make a proper manual but it takes a lot of time.

For Kolibri, it’s on port 9090 because when KA-Lite is installed it was on Port 8080 on the Plus and the en-kolibri-index module was looking for 9090. I wanted to keep it the same as the one on the RACHEL servers. Would it help if it were on another port?

If you have any issues or other suggestions please let me know. I have been working on an experimental version of RACHEL-Pi that I would like to add everthing to. It has a redesigned interface, and a lot more features like USB module loading and all of the settings can be changed from the admin interface. I’ve got some modules I think will be very useful too. Hopefully you guys will test that when it’s ready.

James

2 Likes

Hi James @jamesk
I wasn’t objecting to port 9090, I just thought it should be mentioned in case someone was trying 8080.
Thanks for the great work by the way.
Kind regards
Howard

No problem Howard. Thanks for testing.

It turns out a new Raspbian was released on the same day ( 09-26-2019 ) as I put up the latest RACHEL-Pi Kolibri image so it’s probably instantly outdated. I’m going to put up a new image instead. Is there anything you want added or changed?

It might be useful if the dhcp service could be enabled easily. It would remove the need to have a touter in the wired network.

Has anyone tried the fanless Flirc case yet?

I have not because we have found the sd card stays put if it is locked in. we hope the case with lock that we usually use will be available for the pi 4 soon

@giakonda I’ll look at adding it by default. It should just be as simple as setting a dhcp range in dnsmasq.conf.

@sam_uk I haven’t switched to using the pi4 as my main device because they haven’t added USB booting support to it yet. I have it in an old pidrive enclosure case for now but I’ll probably check one of those out when it’s ready.

Could you let me know how to do the dhcp thing please @jamesk James just so I don’t mess the whole thing up.
Howard

@giakonda I’ll have to look at it first to be sure that is all that’s required. Right now there is only a dhcp-range set for the wlan0 interface in the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file. I don’t know if adding another range for eth0 would work or if both interfaces can use the same range. I’ll try some different configurations and get back to you.

@jamesk

I just checked my PI-4 RACHEL server and the uptime is 97 days and temperature is 41’C.
I’ve used it on and off and have not had any issues running multiple videos or using any modules.

System Sofware
Hardware Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
OS Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
RACHEL 07.04.2019
Kolibri 0.12.5
Kiwix 2.0.0
Content Shell v2.3.9pi

1 Like

Thanks for the update @SHOMI. That’s awesome! 97 days is a pretty impressive uptime. 41’C is also great. I just read that Raspbian has been updated to enable Network booting and they’re now working on USB booting. I’ve heard that the heat issue with the Pi4 is actually with USB so we’ll see how that goes.

James

Has anyone tries Pinet yet?

I don’t have enough pis to try it properly.

Have you seen this case? I’m just testing it out but seems good:

Yes I have, I thought it might be too susceptible to dust and the easy access to the sd card might make it vulnerable to theft.