Rachel on USB For Android Tablet

Greetings
I would like learners in remote areas to take the tablets home but I need them to have access to Rachel at home. That means the option of using the Raspberry Pi does not work. What can I do for learners to have access to Rachel without necessarily having to be close to the Raspberry Pi? If there is a way may you please let me know of the hardware that I need to purchase?
Many thanks

Hi Jeffrey,

Unfortunately this is a bit tough due to the types of content available. Most of the content we have is either from Kiwix modules, which require a Kiwix server, Kolibri channels, or content that has to be run on a webserver to use PHP.

You can try going to rachel.worldpossible.org and downloading modules that are labeled -static, or try other modules manually, placing them on a MicroSD, and seeing how it goes.

The other option is a Raspberry Pi Zero W or Zero 2 W boards. The students could take home. They $5 Raspberry Pi Zero W can handle 1 student, and the $15 Zero 2 W can handle more.

James

Sorry I have only just seen this.
I have thought of using the Pi zero 2w for this purpose, simply because it is not expensive. You may have to be careful about the content and maybe you would have to group learners so that they could share a device between a small number.
I have not been able to get any Pi zero2s yet but I have been told that they will be more available in a month or two.

1 Like