RACHEL-Pi Image for Raspbian Stretch

Hi James
Where can I find the Kolibri image you are uploading please
Howard

Hi Howard, I am in the process of uploading it now. It will be finished in about 2 hours. I will give you a direct link when it’s complete.

Hi Howard, I have updated the post with a link to the new image as well as a readme pdf for instructions. The direct link to the image is rachel_pi_kolibri_10_30_18.7z. I hope this works for you. The ReadMe has some important instructions on how to install Kolibri content. I have not tested setting up courses so please let me know if you have any issues. KA-Lite is also not included in this image. I will be putting one up that has both soon.

Hi @SHOMI, I thought I would let you know that I have updated my post with a new Kolibri Image. The ReadMe file also includes a fix for Wikipedia modules that don’t load.

jamesk

I installed the kolibri image and it is working now. 

I am able to import the channels, setup an admin and user accounts. I am able to run the channel content fine.

I downloaded fr-wikibooks and fr-wikiversity. The RPI was rebooted and the wikiversity was still showing an error using 10.10.10.10:81 and the module. I will recheck Wednesday to see what they are actually showing and recheck against your document.

Thanks for trying it out. That’s good news about Kolibri working. For Wikipedia modules the link that you need to go to is the direct link for that module. For example, “http://10.10.10.10:81/wikiversity_fr_all_novid_2018-04/” for fr-wikiversity. Once on that page hit the refresh button in your browser and it should be loaded. I’m still trying to track down why this isn’t automatic but it should work for now.

Jamesk,

I had the Kolibri system running for a while and when I tried to download the Wikipedia FR it stalled and somewhere in there the system locked up. I attached the screenshots I was able to get. I also have the orig version RACHEL Installer piOS-2018.10.18 , Content Shell v2.3.9 you posted here and so far it is running good. It did do an update but removed the restart/ shutdown button. The following are running good on it : Wikilivres. Wikipédia, Wikivoyage, and Wikipedia pour les écoles. Due to a family issue that came up Tuesday night, Ive not had a chance to try the other version without Kolibri you posted, but plan on that today.

Thanks again for your work on this project.

Don

. Capture _2018-11-02-13-01-411102181107

You’re welcome Don. Sorry to hear about the family issue. I hope everything is alright.

On the device that is showing the errors did you update through the admin interface or was it Kolibri that updated? If it was RACHEL the problem could be that the changes I’ve made for the Raspberry-Pi are not reflected in the RACHEL-Plus content shell if it’s syncing and updating to a different content shell. The shutdown/restart button missing makes me think this is the problem as I had to fix the same issue before Unless they reflect my changes that fix the admin interface on the pi, the content shell shouldn’t be updated. Sorry I should have mentioned that. I have tested the “check version” button and it doesn’t seem to update, but I believe they are working on some fixes for a bug people were reporting so that might be it if there’s a new version out.

Your error output matches a bug known to happen with SSDs and Linux kernel 4.10 which I’m reading about. It looks like there are multiple settings that could help, but the one most likely culprit is discussed here this link and the last comment gives the following instructions.

1. Make sure the file /boot/config.txt has the value “max_usb_current=1”
  2. Run the command “sudo sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_early_retrans=0”

/boot/config.txt can be accessed if you plug the SSD into a windows PC as /boot is accessible in Windows. You can edit it in linux by doing the following.

1. “sudo nano /boot/config.txt”
  2. Change the setting for max_usb_current to 1
  3. “CTRL + X, Y, Enter” to save the changes.

I hope this helps. If not I will dig further into the problem. Unfortunately I don’t have an SSD to test with right now. Let me know how this goes.

Hello @jamesk
Finally got the Pi 3B+ to boot from microSD. It is however unable to boot from USB HDD

hi @airsay, what process did you use to flash the USB HDD and what happens when the it won’t boot? Is it just a black screen?

Etcher was used to write the image to disk. Then ssh was enabled before connecting the HDD to RPi3B+. Screen just remains black

@airsay You say you enabled it before connecting the HDD. Did you enable ssh using the “sudo raspi-config” command? That is the proper way to do it.

I believe if you put a file named ssh in the boot partition, ssh is enabled in Raspbian. If I have to get to raspi-config that presupposes that my device boots from the USB HDD. The device doesn’t boot to USB HDD even though it boots when I use a USB flash drive.

I think you’ll have to give more details to figure this out. If MicroSD works and USB flash drive works, then it has to be something with how you propared the other drive.

jamesk,

The ssd issue I was having is due to a failing RPI 3b+, it was also failing with a microsd. I moved the SSD back to the RPI 3b and it is working great. All in all the system is smooth after running for a couple days.

Hi James,
I used your image rachel_pi_kolibri_10_30_18 on a Pi3b+ with 128Gb SD card and your instructions to install kolibri. So far all is working well.
Thanks for your work
Kind Regards
Howard

@Shomi, Thanks for the update. That’s good news ( except for the failing 3b+ ). Are the shutdown and reboot buttons still missing or is that issue resolved as well?

Hi Howard,

I was hoping the Kolibri image was stable as I think it’s meant to replace KA-Lite so that’s exciting to hear. Thank you for updating me.

James

Hi Howard. I wanted to let you know to please not download the en-file_share module from the RACHEL servers. It seems to have been tampered with. I am actually going to make fresh images because I had downloaded the file share module for testing the kolibri image but deleted it after as it didn’t seem necessary anymore. Please wait for an updated image. If you are hosting the other images at Giakonda, although I think they’re safe, please remove them for now until I can get a new image up to be 100% sure.

Hi @shomi. Please do not download the en-file_share module from the RACHEL servers. It seems to have been tampered with. If you had already downloaded it, please wait for a new image. I think the images are safe, but I am going to upload a new fresh ones just to be 100% sure. I will let you know when the new image is up.