Rachel PI in Sawla, Ghana

A Rachel PI install was activated in northern Ghana at the Sawla Children’s Home on October 13. Any other Rachel-PI installs in that part of the country?

1 Like

@Ayanamustapha – any that you know of? @Dcoffey, @Ayanamustapha will be starting a World Possible chapter in Ghana shortly. @NicoleC @Dave_WorldPossible is Willem on our forums?

1 Like

Hello! Glad there’s one up there now, which should be the first. I have no idea of pre-existing one.

1 Like

The device is installed in a Children’s Home in Sawla which is overseen by an NGO here in the U.S called International Assistance Program. https://iassist.org/

All the children in the home have access to formal schooling, the goal with the Rachel-PI device is to augment their formal education with the specific goal to improve test scores at the end of junior high which determines the quality of the high school the children are permitted to apply to.

David

1 Like

Your right. Is there anyone there I can speak with, I would love to help keep it running . And when we lunch the Ghana chapter I can extend to them some local contents we are currently gathering. Local contents includes Basic Education Certificate Examination past questions and video of the National Science and Math Quiz. I am wondering if you already have some local Ghanaian lessons on there. Would be glad to know about and see the way forward to working together. I do install Rachel on stick in various computer labs both in schools and communities study centers, offers training to teachers and students alike on how to set it up and use it. I personally run weekly class each Saturdays in the Senchi-Ferry Community Library for school kids from various grades. Results is positive making some teachers join us to study as well.
I am yet to officially do this life altering work in June next year as I am still in my final year of University and just love doing RACHEL classes for community kids. It just feel so good especially hearing the compliments from these kids and sometimes their parents, who often got no or very little education but in the end see a positive change in their kids toward learning. I welcome any suggestions and ideas and supports to propel and expand rapidly this program all across the country and beyond. I am so proud and grateful you for your service to.mother Ghana.
We can phone call if you want, any time at your convenience via +233 542 922 769. Also on WhatsApp.
Email. ayanamustaphasalifu@gmail.com
mustapha@worldpossible.org.
Many thanks
Cheers
Mustapha

1 Like

Hi there Jeremy! Thanks for the heads up!

In 2015 my Church, along with a Rotary club, built a school, library, & computer lab in Prestea, Ghana. That same year, a team of us went over to bring the books & computers for the library & the computer lab. In 2018 we hope to return and install a RACHEL Plus in the computer lab since they have been unable to acquire Internet service. We are also hoping to work with the Catholic diocese of Takoradi and install RACHEL Plus in a number of the schools. Our plan is to use 7" tablets for the schools. In addition, we plan to bring several retired Teachers along with us that can work with local Teachers to assist them in creating lesson plans to utilize the available resources.
Any educational/testing material you have that is unique to the Ghana educational system would be much appreciated.
My contact info is larry.young@layounginc.com.
Regards,
Larry

1 Like

Here is the system as delivered to the Children’s Home. One Rachel-PI, 12 Lenovo 10" tablets, 12 wired keyboards (I originally was looking at using Bluetooth and then realized what a debacle that would be) and 12 sets of headphones. The tablets themselves are Lenovo Tab 10 devices (model number TB-X103F) which were purchased retail for about $105 each.

The tablets were loaded with Word, Excel and a simple bible application. Unneeded or confusing apps were either uninstalled or disabled; such applications as YouTube, Gmail, Downloads, Drive etc. Anything that was deemed to be a distraction to the kids was hidden.

The priority users for the system are the junior high age kids while the younger ones have access also. It is interesting that the younger ones are the most enthusiastic about being able to use the system. 8 or so are deployed while the remaining hardware is held in reserve as replacements.

So far the reception by the adults and the tutor at the home has been wonderful. It is understood that this is multi year project and the results will be measured in test scores for high school placement.

At this time the system has only been in place for a month or so and there is not been time to create material specific to Ghana.

David Coffey

1 Like

@Dcoffey
Glad to know about the tremendous work up North. Is there a teacher or anyone in charge of the devices or you are?
Currently gathering local contents for Ghana. We focusing on Basic Education Certificate Examination past questions and answers for students practice to prepare for their final basic exams. Collection is fast gathering and I would love to talk(+233542922769) with anyone in charge to keep share few ideas as we go forward.
We are thrilled and grateful for your exceptional work.
Many thanks

1 Like

The in country contacts are Samuel Jatuat who is the hired tutor for the children’s home and David Kipo who is the administrator. I will share your contact information with them and have them reach out to you.

David Coffey

1 Like

They are, I am currently running a RACHEL pi via wireless hotspot in two schools in Bolga
You can contact me on +2332455659 and on WhatsApp

Hi Mustapha,
My name is Emmanuel, also from Ghana and very much interested in also bringing Rachel into rural areas and schools in Ghana. I have got a 3 Raspbeery PI, which i will donate to schools whilst in Ghana this year. May be we can connect and establish Rachel Ghana. I formed a charity called One Talent Foundation, purposely to use ICT to help kids and youths in Ghana. I am so happy what the World Impossible have done and with the great work with RACHEL…
I hope we could connect

1 Like

Hi Emmanuel, nice e-meeting you.
World Possible is increasingly transforming lives with this powerful tool, RACHEL. As passionate as I am with bringing the joy of learning to learners all over Ghana, I believe we have a common mission. And I will be glad seeing us together to maximize this life altering mission.
Feel free to contact via +233 542 922 769
Also whatsApp active.
Most grateful.
Ayana Mustapha

Thanks will get in touch.

@LarryY Great to know about you mission. When do you plan embarking on this mission. Would be glad to assist. Most grateful.
Ayana Mustapha

Hi Ayana. We will be bringing a team of about 10 people. We leave the US on Oct 1st & return on Oct 12th. We are brining 4 RACHEL Plus devices, 4 security/charging stations and 140 tablets. The equipment will be installed in schools in Takoradi & Prestea. I’ll be training our local technical person for the project & the rest of the team will hopefully be training the teachers on how to incorporate Khan Academy into their lesson plans.
Thank you for all of the work you are doing.
Regards,
Larry Young

Great! Glad to know. I will be glad to assist. Do you please know the types and number of computers to be working with? Is it Desktop or laptops computers? Are the computers WIFI enabled? if not any plan to hardwire network the computers? If so, a switch and WIFI desktop router will be required. How about power cord? Do you have any training course ware or presentations yet?
Just trying to understand and to better support

Together We Can,
Best
Ayana Mustapha

Hi Mustapha,

Thanks for getting in touch, I hope we can link up on whatsapp to discuss how we could one together to use RACHEL to reach out to the rural communities. My Ghana number is 0249804148. I believe together we can do more and educate the youth to become computer literate, and acquire knowledge thru the information and resources provided by the RACHEL Project

1 Like

Will get in touch on WhatsApp soon. Whatch out for 0542922769.
Together We Can!