RACHEL-Plus Battery Issue category

User submission, unconfirmed by World Possible

I have finished updating the RACHEL CAP Servers that I have in stock. I have already replaced several devices with the updated ones. I am running into some of these devices having battery failures in them (see pictures below). These are Lithium Polymer batteries are expanding while in use. So I now know of 3 RACHEL CAP servers that have battery failure or visually expanded from the original size.

Therefore, I am removing all the batteries from all the RACHEL CAP Servers currently in my possession and would like permission to send out to the Superintendents/ Camp Directors and School Principals to stop using the Rachel Servers until the battery is removed. It will function normally without the battery but will not remain powered up if it loses household power. I am comfortable with the devices being run without any batteries.

We will need to dispose of them through the normal recycling channels with Garten to insure they are handled properly.

This is a safety issue and should receive immediate attention. I intend to customize the emails to all facilities that we have these deployed in to specifically identify where they are located and avoid any potential fire hazard in any of our facilities or schools.

Normal battery thickness in back of Rachel CAP Server.

Deformed RACHEL CAP Server battery expanded in back of device.

Rachel CAP Server battery expanded about 3 to 4 times the width of a normal battery.

Normal appearing battery for Rachel CAP server. Less than quarter of an inch thick.

Rachel CAP Server expanded to almost a 1” thickness.

Notice how it has bulged out similar to a loaf of bread after it has risen.

Different perspective on two batteries. The one on the left is a normal battery, the one on the right is the failed battery.

Different angle of same photo.

Yet another angle to show perspective.

It is hard to tell the contrasting difference due to the good battery being taped in the back of a Rachel CAP Server.

Picture of failed battery and writing on the battery pack.

Picture of good battery label on an working Rachel CAP Server.

Thanks for your sincerity Jeremy and the team.
If the battery is the problem, taking it out could be the immediate solution. Caution need tobe taken with this process.
Are there good batteries that could be purchased yet?

Thanks @Ayanamustapha – we aren’t sure it’s the battery itself or something in the charging mechanism or something totally different. Battery removal is quite likely going to be the best option as we evaluate, but we haven’t reached that conclusion yet. Extreme caution will need to be taken to remove the battery, and the battery itself is dangerous when exposed. Replacement batteries long-term are extremely unlikely as regulations generally prohibit shipping batteries not packed within equipment. If someone removes the battery and throws it away, it becomes a significant fire hazard. A battery like the one in our equipment, when compressed or punctured, is likely to burst into flame. It is not safe to have laying around and needs to be disposed of properly.

Another question:

1. I’d like to know if this is a high percentage risk like most of them catch fire or a low percentage risk where only 1 or 2 % catch fire.
  1. If we have to replace the units in the field will you be able to recommend a hardware solution you can support?

Right now, our focus is on question 1, assessing the risk. It is surprisingly difficult for us to get real-time feedback on these units which are in incredibly remote locations. From our U.S. partners, it seems like the risk for battery degradation (swelling battery) is high. One partner who has 28 of these devices is estimating about half (50%) of them are showing signs of battery problems. The issue appears to be most prominent if the device is on 24/7 and constantly plugged in. We do not yet have all the details or confirmed reports of problems where the device is used infrequently or on battery power for long periods of time, but we imagine it’s possible that use case is not immune from the issue. If you see earlier in the thread, our supplier’s immediate recommendation is to make sure the battery gets drained once a week and to turn off the device after use.

We do anticipate getting a working solution together over time either for this or a different piece of hardware.

Another question:

We also have non-RACHEL users who have purchased CAP’s for their project. I’m wondering if they should be concerned too. Do you have the latest specs on the ones your manufacturer distributes? When I looked on your site, I found this link, which seems to have been taken down by Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/404.html

Yes, they should also be concerned. The manufacturer has produced two model numbers of this product that I am aware of, WRTD-303N and WAPD-235N, and we have confirmed reports of the failure on both models. Within the models, purchasers such as ourselves, have some options to customize components when ordering, but it is my strong belief all models and variations are affected.

For the question above, CAP stands for Content Access Point. This piece of hardware was marketed by Intel under the name Content Access Point. This piece of hardware has also been marketed by GEMTEK under the name Easy Connect and World Possible RACHEL Plus device. There are likely other names for the product. As this question points out, Intel has recently discontinued the product line and no longer shows it on their website.

You can view the model number on the back of the device, but I would say if your device looks like the one on our website, you have a problem.

Quick follow up, the battery inside both of my models is the same. Not clear it’s purely a battery issue vs a software, charging, or other hardware issue, but the battery in both units is listed as 303N

Another good question from our Ethiopia chapter leader, Ashenafi:

“We have been using the RACHEL plus in seven schools for summer class in high schools, students are highly interested in using the contents for their entrance exam. We use the RACHEL server with high care. IF we stop the current use students may get disappointed and that will result in loss of trust in our project. What if we use it in very careful way like using it by charging it for couple of hours and then unplugging from the source and keep using the battery. We have someone besides the RACHEL to take care of it. Anyways I will come back to you with information after visiting all 11 schools which are using our RACHEL server in Wolaita, Ethiopia.”

We understand that this is very disappointing for everyone, but until we can learn more about this safety issue we have to strongly recommend that everyone stop using RACHEL-Plus devices. We are working to find a solution as quickly as possible. Thank you so much for gathering information from your schools, this will be very helpful.

Some advice from our partner at World Vision Switzerland:

"My advice as I have some experience with buldging accus - it is safest to run the battery down, which means to keep the device switched on - unplugged - without charging the battery! until the battery is empty and the device does not funtion anymore.

Key is - do not charge it anymore and do not expose the unit to heat - like sitting in the sun while running."

Thank you for the precaution. could there be any code that leads to drawing too much power from the battery? If it is about the hardware then I am very worried since the government of kenya has deployed the same hardware in all the primary schools in kenya and I know they might not bother to give such a precaution.

Thanks @simon. We want to avoid speculation as much as possible. As of last night, our manufacturer believes the battery itself is faulty, but also wants to push out a firmware fix that limits charging. This would be a two prong approach, with both needing to occur. I cannot speak to the devices in Kenya, if they have this battery, or configuration. The manufacturer has currently engaged a third-party to independently test the battery. The battery is supplied by someone who is not the manufacturer of the final device.

Another question:

I have read the comments within your blog. If we decide to remove the battery from the new devices we have; will that void the warranty?

No, this will not void the warranty.

I apologize for asking these questions again; but we have some confusion in regards to these devices.

1. The device battery has only been known to have an issue when plugged in and left on overcharging the battery; correct?
  2. We should be able to either charge the device for a controlled time and then unplug it and use it off battery or in the alternative remove the battery and use the device plugged in only.
  3. Removing the battery does not void the warranty and is recommended for the short time solution; is this battery in any way more dangerous then any other battery or removing it and storing it in a cool storage location out of sunlight and depleted any risk?
  4. Is there any current high level time frame on your current two prong solution? or is to early to answer this question?
    Thank you for your time.

I just bought one and the money was refunded (so I guess I am not getting it). But I still want it. Can these run from an external USB power source (including battery)? If so I would be happy to order one again if you could send it without the battery. Plus I want to sell these to customers as island web servers (with our software on them, so I might buy lots).

So far, I personally do not have any reports of issues other than when plugged in and overcharged. That does not mean they do not exist though. The manufacturer currently believes the battery is defective but is seeking 3rd party verification, so I would proceed with immense caution if you choose to use the device in that manner. Basically, no one is sure right now.

Both of these scenarios would seem to reduce the risk we are seeing, but cannot confirm yet.

It is NOT recommended by us. People are doing it yes, but we don’t feel as though we have enough information to recommend that yet. Yes, we believe the battery is defective and more dangerous than a normal battery. We have people suggesting that users unplug the device and draw down the battery so it has no charge when removing or storing the device or battery. We are not experts and cannot confirm this is true. No one thus far has suggested otherwise.

We hope this is a weeks, not months issue. It will obviously be easier for us to support and solve the issue for U.S. based customers or people who still have access to their devices. As many people deploy this device as part of a community service project, safari, vacation, it’s not clear yet how we plan to reach everyone.

@tonywhansen I have to confirm, but I believe we are willing to ship devices without a battery, provided you understand when the issue gets fixed we won’t be working to help get your unit battery operated. Basically, we aren’t trying to grow the problem right now so have decided to cease all sales, if you want to take the device now without battery or warranty, I will ship it.

Please note the important difference here that I have proper safety equipment for identifying a dangerous battery and removing it properly. We still do not recommend users do this on their own with batteries that may already be defective. Units in our stock have never been used and have shown no signs of any battery degradation.

This new report is a good image to focus on. You will see that the black plastic back actually ruptured, leaving pieces of the back and the screws still attached to the body. Pretty violent event to have that happen.

Another good question from a user:

“Is it okay to use the device on battery only (ie. plug it in for charging only, then use it on its battery for actually accessing the content).”

Right now we urge you stop using the RACHEL device completely: don’t charge it, run down the battery, then safely store it. We are working to understand the scope of the problem as quickly as we can, and if we find that there is a way to safely use RACHEL-plus devices, we will let everyone know as soon as possible.

Here’s another one:

“Will intel be honoring the warranty and offering a replacement unit?”

Great question. We’re not sure yet, but we’re working with both Intel and the manufacturer to get an answer.

Now that you have published an updated set of guidelines, are you now saying that it would be ok to travel with the RACHEL server as long as we drain, remove and safely store the batteries first?

A second question… if you answer the first one affirmatively… do you have a copy of your updated guidelines in Spanish (that has been prepared by a Spanish speaker instead of Google Translate) that I could give to the school in Guatemala?

Thanks for your question! If you are planning to use RACHEL-Plus in an area without constant power, then we recommend that you run down the battery first and travel with the device off. If you plan to use RACHEL-Plus with constant and reliable power, then in that case we recommend you remove the battery (instructions here) and safely store it before traveling.

As for a Spanish version of our updated guidelines: that’s a great idea and I’ll contact our Guatemala chapter to ask for a translation that we can share here.