Rotary Club connections

Recently, a number of Rotary Clubs have been asking to connect with other clubs in areas using RACHEL for joint projects. World Possible and Rotary share a vision for supporting basic education and literacy, and we’ve been lucky to work together on a number of projects already in Kenya, Tanzania, Guatemala, and Namibia.

Let’s use this thread to connect! If you are part of a Rotary club that has used RACHEL, or is interested in using RACHEL, please post here.

1 Like

Hi Nicole,
Acknowledging receipt of your email.
Thank you for starting this topic.
I am an ambassador for H2OpenDoors, a Rotary Club project of the Sunrise Peninsula Club.
We look forward to enthusiastically developing joint projects in the near future!

3 Likes

Hi, Nicole, thank you for sending me the link to this thread.
I am Angela, President of Rotary Club of Polana in Mozambique and we are interested in using RACHEL in our educational projects.

3 Likes

Hi Nicole,
A couple of years back I made a presentation to the West Daytona Beach Rotary Club. Since then they have been able to sponsor 5 RACHEL Plus devices, a router, cable, charging stations, misc. parts, plus 140 tablets for our mission in Ghana & we’re working on a grant for computers at our mission in the Dominican Republic. We’ve sent 5 RACHEL Plus to the DR in years past & are always needing more devices for connectivity.

The Rotary Club is a wonderful organization. Their generosity is inspiring.

We would still like to fund a project for a Muslim girl’s school in Kenya, but need additional help for that one in case any one is interested in assisting.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, Larry! I am looping in our brand new chapter leader in Ghana, @Ayanamustapha (Mustapha), and our experienced chapter leader in Kenya, @musilwa (Bonface) so that they can help support your RACHEL projects and coordinate news ones, if you wish!

My name is Jeff Harris and I am a member of the Rotary Club of Gig Harbor, Washington.

Our club has funded Rotary District Grants for Raspberry Pi and Rachel projects in Northwest Guatemala since 2015. In 2015 we funded 3 schools; 2016 - 6 schools; 2017 - 3 schools; and in 2017 - 8 schools in an evaluation of Rachel with World Possible/Guatemala and a university in Guatemala City.

In July of this year we received approval by Rotary International of a Global Grant by 3 nations, 8 Rotary Clubs for a total of $135,000 which will, over the next 3 years, install and train teachers in nearly 55 schools serving 10,000 students. A Rotary club in Ontario, Canada is serving as the lead in this Global Grant. We will be happy to share our application and observations.
While World Possibles Rachel will not solve all problems faced by people in the Third World, we are convinced that it will give the children an opportunity for a better future. World Possible has been an in-creditable partner in our efforts.

3 Likes

Thanks Nicole for the introduction and thrilling e-meeting you Larry.I will be happy to support projects promoting Digital learning in Ghana with RACHEL.
Together We Can
Best.
Mustapha

1 Like

Hi Mustapha, I think we’re going to be training teachers & a couple of Administrators on RACHEL Plus in Takoradi around Oct 3 - 5. Then we’ll go to Prestea to install some equipment & provide more training, then to Tarkwa to outfit another school. Each of the 4 school get 35 tablets, 1 RACHEL Plus, & one secure charging station. We will be leaving Ghana on Oct 12. If you’re anywhere near those areas on those dates, perhaps we can connect you with the local teachers & Administrators that will be working with RACHEL after we leave.
Regards,
Larry

3 Likes

Great!
I should meet you up in Accra so we leave together. May I please know the time you leave the airport in Accra to Takoradi?
I can’t wait to this day!

Hi Larry,

We work In Kenya on a small scale building e-Learning Centres in schools where RACHEL is the key educational content. I know you posted this article a few months ago now and may have already succeeded but where in Kenya was the Muslim Girls school that you were looking to help?

Hi Harpal,
The school is somewhere around Diani Beach. We’ve been on a funding roller coaster with this project. At first it looked good, then not so good, then maybe, now it’s looking good again, but as you know, you can’t be too demanding when you’re asking for other people’s money.
Regards,
LarryY

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately we do not do anything in the coastal regions as the few schools we work with are in the Kiambu county.

We were approached for a Muslim Girls school just outside Nairobi so not the same one. I shall be visiting this girls school next month to see what they need and whether we can help them.

Are you based in Kenya?

regards

Harpal

Hi Harpal,
No, I live in Daytona Beach, FL. I do some mission work in the Dominican Republic & in Ghana. My Rotarian friends in West Daytona Beach have a former member that moved to Kenya, which is how I heard about this opportunity, but now it looks like the interest is fading again.
Regards,
LarryY

Hi Larry,

We collect donations in UK and help any school that is prepared to come and ask for help.

So we would welcome any hep your rotarian friends may wish to contribute for schools in Kenya?

regards

Harpal

Hello my name is Luciano and I am currently starting a project to take RACHEL to Amazonian communities in Ecuador in conjunction with a non-profit organization called “SER Association for human development” that has been supporting communities in the Morona Santiago area for some time .
I was in contact with Romeo Rodriguez from ‘Mundos Posibes Guatemala’ and he told me about the support that Rotary clubs offer for this type of projects.
I would like if you could guide me to present the project to one of the Rotary clubs of Ecuador, and investigate that there are enough as part of district 4400. Would it be better to present at the headquarters of Quito (capital of Ecuador) or provincial club as Macas, which belongs to the area where you can find the main communities that the project reaches?
Other concerns are:
What references can I give?
Any project model presented to another Rotary club that you can share with me?
Any contact person that someone knows who we can approach the project in one of the Rotary clubs?
They will excuse my writing in English, it is 100% of Googe Translator, since my native English is scarce, then it is supported by technology :blush:
greatly appreciate the support you can give me.
A big hug from Ecuador.

Versión Original:

Hola me llamo Luciano y actualmente estoy iniciando un proyecto para llevar RACHEL a comunidades amazónicas en Ecuador en conjunto con una organización sin fines de lucro llamada “SER Asociación para el desarrollo humano” que ya viene apoyando a comunidades en la zona de Morona Santiago hace tiempo.
Estuve en contacto con Romeo Rodriguez de ‘Mundos Posibes Guatemala’ y el me comento sobre e apoyo que brindan los clubes Rotarios a este tipo de proyectos.
Me gustaría si me pudieran orientar para presentar el proyecto a uno de los clubes Rotario de Ecuador, ya que investigue que existen bastantes como parte de distrito 4400. ¿Sera mejor presentar en la sede de Quito (capital de Ecuador) o en club provincial como Macas, que pertenece a la zona donde se encuentras las principales comunidades que alcanza el proyecto?
Otras inquietudes son:
¿Que referencias puedo dar?
¿Algún modelo de proyecto presentado ante otro club rotario que puedan compartirme?
¿Alguna persona de contacto que alguien conozca a quien le podamos acercar el proyecto en uno de los clubes Rotarios?
Disculparan mi escritura en ingles, es 100% de Googe Traductor, pues mi ingles nativo es escaso, entonces es apoyado por tecnología :blush:
Agradezco mucho el apoyo que puedan brindarme.
Un fuerte abrazo desde Ecuador.

The Chapala Sunrise Rotary Club in Chapala MX has assisted in two Rachel (PI) deployments to local orphanages. The kids love the content and help with homework. They are considering a larger deployment and I’m providing technical support.