Test results: Rachel-Pi with WD PiDrive and dual-boot

I just wanted to share some of my results testing the RACHEL-Pi. Not a scientific test but should give an idea for those who need to know how many devices can use the server at the same time.
And thanks to Dave from WD Labs for his post on how to install a dual-boot system that will allow for the easy management of the RPI modules and add more storage capacity and speed.

I had almost no issues running the Rachel server using the PiDrive as a data partition even with about 9 clients accessing it at the same time. Here are the scenarios I had:

Scenario #1
(all these devices were connected and accessing content as described below at the same time)

• 5 devices (2 laptops + 2 Androids +1 iPhone) streaming KA videos = no issue at all, no lag.
  • 1 Android phone browsing webpages including opening lite PDF files such as Afristories.

Scenario #2
(all these devices were connected and accessing content as described below at the same time)

• 2 laptops (MacBook Pro and Asus C300 Chromebook) streaming KA Lite videos = fast, no issue at all. They were also accessing webpages randomly while streaming = fast, no lag.

• 2 Android devices (phone & tablet) downloading large CK12 PDF books = very slow for them. They were also accessing webpages randomly while downloading = little slow for them but acceptable speed.

• 1 iPhone 4s streaming KA Lite videos = took some time to load the video but once loaded was fast.

• 1 Android phone accessing web pages including opening lite PDF files such as Afristories.

Scenario #3

• 5 devices (2 laptops + 3 Android phones/tablets) all downloading CK12 PDF books = very slow (one device says 3 hours left!)
  • 1 iPhone 4s streaming KA videos very fast.
  • I tried adding more devices to these 6 but they couldn’t connect until I canceled all PDF downloads and kept only 2 device downloading PDFs.
  • Then I was able to add 3 more Android devices (new total= 9 devices) all browsing web pages including opening lite PDF files such as Afristories with no issues although some devices had some lag but not that noticeable.

Conclusion:
Downloading Large PDF seems to eat up the Pi resources and it slowed every thing down at least
for those clients who were actually downloading. It also prevented new clients from connecting.
Maximum number of devices connected at the same time that I tested was 9. Trying to add new devices (to the 9) failed. New devices will see the RPI WiFi but won’t connect unless one of the connected device disconnects.

Thanks for your great work.
When you next get a chance, you might try using the RACHEL-Pi as a server connected via its wired Ethernet jack to a wired LAN and/or a separate WiFi access point. This is what I recommend to organizations that find they have a capacity problem with a RACHEL-Pi. In expensive WiFi Internet Routers are available and reasonably priced in most developing countries.
Thanks again, Ed Resor

Thanks @edresor.
As I mentioned, I just wanted to give people an idea on how many devices can use the server at the same time using this kind of setup.
I’m aware of the router option. In fact, I ended up using the this option as I have many routers setting around unused.
Next, I’m working on putting the RACHEL behind a captive portal to control client access even more using a Mikrotik RouterBoard router.
I’ll be posting more on that soon on a separate topic.