Use ext4 usb drive to copy content into Rachel Plus 3.0?

we maintain an internal repository of Rachel ‘module’ files that includes our own non-public module folders.

in the past, i’ve mounted a usb ext4 ssd to our earlier Rachel-Plus or Rachel-Pi, to mirror our updated content onto the Rachel when necessary (with rsync -avr --delete /modules /media/RACHEL/rachel/modules). in the field we won’t have much bandwidth & our Rachel’s are offline, so I was hoping to use something like this for updates in the long run.

RACHEL-Plus 3.0 seems to some new features (?); when I plug in an external ext4 drive, the /.data mount point for the internal drive is obliterated with the external USB drive. The normal functionality of the CAP is interrupted and only way I’ve found to restore it is to reboot.

why is it this way, and is there now a different way to do what i need to do?

are there release notes or is there some other way to keep up with changes like this?

for Rachel-Plus our repo is 200+ GB and I have 7 of these to do, and some of the target content won’t change (so use of rsync is preferable).

help please!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I’m sorry about that, I didn’t realize this is an issue. We have a new supplier for this device and haven’t found all the quirks yet.

You could set up a new local rsync server with folder path of rsync://ip.add.re.ss/rachelmods/modules_names

From there, you would go into our admin panel, select install, find the advanced tab.

On the advanced tab, in the first drop down, select “full”. On the upload option, upload a .txt file with just the names of your modules, each one on a separate line. On the server option, type in your rsync server ip.add.re.ss

Also, you could just rsync over your command line (probably way easier than what I just described).

I think you need to boot the device first, then after boot is complete, add your harddrive.

Hi Jeremy,
Are you saying that I can have the modules on a USB drive on my laptop, then ssh into RACHEL & use rsync with the IP address to copy the modules from my local USB on my laptop to the CAP?

It does no good to try to add the USB to the CAP as there’s no way to access the media directory. As soon as I plug in the USB the /.data file points to the USB and the /media/RACHEL directory is no longer recognized as a directory so you can not walk the path to /media/RACHEL/rachel/modules/ in order to copy anything.

I’m guessing I can just use SFTP to copy modules either to or from my local USB, but the problem I’m experiencing is that I need to import Kolibri channels from a local disk & the way RACHEL Plus v3 is messing with the file structure I don’t see how I can do that.

Also, I don’t know how to update my Kolibri module to the newest version without the Internet.

If I’m missing something, please advise me!
Thanks,
Larry

Are you saying that I can have the modules on a USB drive on my laptop, then ssh into RACHEL & use rsync with the IP address to copy the modules from my local USB on my laptop to the CAP?

Yes

It does no good to try to add the USB to the CAP as there’s no way to access the media directory. As soon as I plug in the USB the /.data file points to the USB and the /media/RACHEL directory is no longer recognized as a directory so you can not walk the path to /media/RACHEL/rachel/modules/ in order to copy anything.

Right, understand the problem and haven’t gotten to a fix on this.

I’m guessing I can just use SFTP to copy modules either to or from my local USB, but the problem I’m experiencing is that I need to import Kolibri channels from a local disk & the way RACHEL Plus v3 is messing with the file structure I don’t see how I can do that.

I think that if you used SFTP to copy Kolibri modules from your computer to the RACHEL device, there should be a way to then load the modules from a local folder @laura_LE

Also, I don’t know how to update my Kolibri module to the newest version without the Internet.

World Possible hasn’t tested the newest version of Kolibri with RACHEL. You should be able to download a portable installer package from Learning Equality to a local computer, and again, SFTP the package to RACHEL and unpackage.

That being said, we currently have important safeguards to manage permissions and port conflicts and boot up sequences which you are likely to blast over if you just go straight to learning equality and download the latest version and try to install it. I would strongly discourage attempting this at this current time. @laura_LE

Hi Jeremy, using the advanced button, do I need to pack my module in a zip folder to install via Search Documents field?