Changing Static IP of RACHEL-Pi

Hello! My name is Emmanuel, from Nigeria. I have been using the RACHEL Pi for a while now and I am really loving it. However, I was hoping to find out if there was a way I could locally change the IP address into a static domain name so that it is more rememberable. Reason for this is that, I will be using the device as a tool for a group of people who do not have access to educational materials.

Please respond soon. Thanks

Hello @Emmanuel,

For the latest images of the RACHEL-Pi you can access it at two addresses. http://rachel.pi and http://www.rachel. You can change these in the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file as well with the two following lines.

address=/www.rachel/10.10.10.10
address=/rachel.pi/10.10.10.10

Changing the static IP from 10.10.10.10 requires changes across multiple files which is much more complicated.

Thanks, @jamesk . However, my question is really about how the IP address could be changed to text. Please help if you can. Cheese!

Changing the IP is not a simple change as the device is configured to use 10.10.10.10 for the wifi hotspot, dhcp, dns, and internet forwarding. It is set in many places across the system. Changing those is the wrong way to assign an IP to the device.

The router or server you connect the RACHEL-Pi to should have DHCP which will automatically assign an IP address to the RACHEL-Pi. You should set the static IP on this router or server and not the PI. Then other devices can reach it at that static IP.

Is it possible to have the list of those files?

You will need to change the ip or ip range in

/etc/dhcpcd.conf
/etc/dnsmasq.conf
/etc/hosts
/etc/iptables.ipv4.nat

It should be a pretty straight forward replacement.

James

Step 1:Ssh to the pi

Username is pi
Password is rachel
Step 2: copy and paste the following command

Scroll down to the bottom…

Step 3: Paste the following:

interface eth0

static ip_address=192.168.1.3/24
static routers=192.168.1.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1

Step 4: Save your configurations by pressing Control(Ctrl) and X keys simultaneously on keyboard and type Y and then Enter

Step 5:gracefully reboot the pi by simply typing reboot and press enter. Theafter test.

I have put text of how to assign a Static IP address to a Raspberry Pi that has Rachel. You need Putty and to know the current IP address that has been assigned to the Pi. You can install Advanced IP Scanner then run it, your Pi should be on the list of devices connected to your Wi-Fi router. Use that IP to SSH into the Pi using Putty.

Hi @Jeffrey - Which version of RACHEL-Pi are you using?

I am using v2.4.1pi, that is the one giving me this screen attached herein, I cant seem to find the command line to put to proceed to the next stage.

Ah, I see you are trying to change the IP of eth0. Generally you connect the RACHEL-Pi to a router that assigns the IP. Otherwise you can use the WIFI hotspot to make any changes without connecting it to a router. The instructions I gave are for the WIFI hotspot.

Setting a static ip on the ethernet port might not work with the configuration of the webserver and other servers.

One your RACHEL-Pi is set up, everything is accessible by the web interface.

Hello James, thanks for the response. The thing is I have been assigning stating IPs of eth0 for a while now and it has been working perfectly. But all of a sudden I am now getting the previously attached screenshot. There must be a command line that I must input so that it takes me to the next step where I can input those commands I just do not know what I should command. Unless if you are saying now its impossible to assign a Static IP on eth0. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Hi Jeffrey,

I think you will have to find a differenttutorial for doing this. The steps you pasted are missing a command also for “Step 2: copy and paste the following command”.

Maybe this one? How to Setup a Raspberry Pi Static IP Address - Pi My Life Up

Generally you would have to do something like

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

and change the information there. Then do CTRL +X, y, enter.

James