Is it possible to change the operational language?

According to this pict, I need to update Kiwix first. Could you please tell me the step? How to connect rachel to the internet and also to the laptop? Besides the ethernet cable, is there anything else I need to prepare?

Hi @Masiti_Imrona - Downloading a Kiwix module with “_2021” in the name will automatically upgrade Kiwix to 3.1.2. If you follow the steps above to install Indonesian Wikipedia, you should see “3.1.2” when you refresh the version page.

To connect your RACHEL-Plus to the internet, plug an ethernet cable from your router or modem into the left ethernet port on the back of the RACHEL-Plus.

If your RACHEL-Plus and laptop are connected to the same router, you can browse to the IP address your router gave the RACHEL-Plus. This is the “LAN” IP address on the main page of RACHEL.

LAN IP

So for me, it would be http://192.168.0.41. You can also connect your laptop to the RACHEL’s WIFI hotspot while it’s connected to the internet. The address would then be the WIFI IP. http://192.168.88.1

James

Thankyou very much @jamesk for all your help, I’ll try and tell how it turned out.

1 Like

Good luck @Masiti_Imrona. I hope it works, but if it doesn’t I’ll fix it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thankyou very much @jamesk , it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad it works @Masiti_Imrona!

If you’re looking for more Indonesian Wikipedia content, you can try this Windows tool I developed called Kiwix2RACHEL This makes it very easy to build Kiwix modules for RACHEL from downloaded ZIM files.

You can download the tool here - Kiwix2RACHEL

I think you linked this in your previous post, but you can download ZIM files from Kiwix’s download page

Just remember that if you transfer Kiwix modules with WinSCP, make sure to restart your RACHEL-Plus device or hide.any module and click “save changes” on the “modules” tab.so Kiwix sees your new module.:slight_smile:

James

1 Like

Ah I see, I will try it.
I have one more question, can I get log data from RACHEL? If possible, where can I access it?

I mean is data that contains user activity information

Hi @Masiti_Imrona - Logs for the web server are in /var/log/nginx/access.log. You should be able to see these on the “stats” tab in the admin interface as “AWStats”.

1 Like

I’ve seen the statistik tab, but it looks like the visits in the local content are not recorded. Is there a way to find out which content is frequently accessed in the local content? Thankyou in advance :slight_smile:

You can try the following to enable it.

sudo nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/hub.nginx.conf

then add the access_log and error_log lines below the location /static block. it should look like this

location /static {
    alias /srv/static;
  }

access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log rachelstats;
 error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log;

}

Now restart nginx

sudo systemctl restart nginx

If all went well, you should get these accesses in the logs.

Hi @jamesk last week we installed Rachel in a remote village in Bali, Indonesia. The teachers and students were very enthusiastic. We are very grateful that worldpossible has developed it :slight_smile: We installed rachel in one of their schools, they have 5 more schools far from each other. They plan to book rachel for 5 other schools. My question is, is it possible to connect 6 devices to each other? This is related to the effectiveness of providing materials in each device. Or is there any solution to simplify the upload process? Thankyou in advance.

Masiti

1 Like

Hi @Masiti_Imrona - That’s fantastic news! I’m glad it’s working out well.

For connecting devices to each other, it depends on what content you would like to transfer between devices.

• Kolibri - you can sync channels between devices on the same network.

• Modules - we ship with RACHEL 3.2.0 now which has a module upload utility in the browser. There’s also the option of enabling “rsync” on the devices so they can download modules from each other.

If you list the specific things you’d like to transfer between devices I can see what other options are available.

James

Hi @jamesk the files we want to transfer are files in local content

Hi @Masiti_Imrona - This is a bit more difficult. This software was developed by Intel and doesn’t have any features to do this remotely between devices. You can transfer files manually by copying the database and files from within the /srv folder to the other device.

Will this be for setting up new devices, or for a continual connection between devices?

1 Like

I seee… After the trial and use in the school the student and teacher are very helpful with rachel, the teacher plan to order several new units because this school consists of several locations that are far apart.

We want to find out what is the easiest way to copy all of Rachel’s contents(syncronize) in 1 unit to other :slight_smile: But that’s okay, we can copy it manually :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Masiti_Imrona - That’s great news. I’m very happy to hear that they’re finding the RACHEL helpful.

We allow for many different LMS and software to run on the system and it can be hard to get everything to synchronize to another device the same way due to the differences in Versions, or the features not currently existing in those softwares.

We developed and released a new module last week called Turn It In (en-turn_it_in). This is a much simpler place for students to upload files and teachers to make assignments available than “local content”, which may be a bit easier.

For RACHEL modules and Kolibri channels, you can connect the devices to the same network to transfer files between them. You only need a router. I can show you how to do this is you’d like.

James

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the good news.

1. I want to know the ID and password of the module en-turn_it_ in.

2. Is there a standard file name for uploading?

3. and “For RACHEL modules and Kolibri channels, you can connect the devices to the same network to transfer files between them. You only need a router. I can show you how to do this is you’d like.”
    This function is a very necessary function. I really want to know.

Hi @JinHwa_Jung

1. The default login/password for Turn It In is teacher/Rachel+1

2. You can upload most files. There are a few blocked extensions like code files ( .exe, ,py, .php, .js, etc ), but otherwise you can upload any file. It gets renamed to include timestamp so they can not be guessed.

3. For Kolibri, this video shows a bit about importing content from the network. If both devices are on the same network, you can click “local network or internet” and see the other device. From there you can find the other RACHEL-Plus and install from it

For RACHEL to RACHEL for modules, you will need to enable the rsync server on one of the devices ( sudo systemctl start rsync ), then you will need to use the “advanced button” on the install tab from the other device to provide a modules list as modules.txt and the IP address of the other device. This is somewhat unsupported, but should work.

James

1 Like