RACHEL does not restart after first power down

OK. Good. Covering the basics first… Is the device plugged in to your router and has access to the Internet? If you refresh the “Install” tab a couple times, does the “Internal error” go away?

Please be sure you use the Ethernet plug next to the power plug.

Duh. Wasn’t plugged into the router. I now see a list of modules under Add Modules. Still don’t have “rachel-autoinstall” in the list beside “.modules:”.

Menu item missing is OK. Your content shell is up to date via rev you provided. I am working on why it is missing, but the module load and functionality should be fine. We can use the “full” option again.

Installation has begun. Using the short list. local_content and teachertraining are installed. I’ll let you know when the other three modules are installed.

Great work! Thank you

Getting 2-3 mbps continuously, so looks like Wikipedia will need 8 hours. I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

@Steve The installation of local_content, teachertraining, wikipedia, wikipedia_for_schools and kalite was successful.

I encountered a hiccup along the way that turned out to be inconsequential. About six hours into the Wikipedia download, I checked the status only to find these messages under Currently Adding.

Many more of these “undefined” messages appeared below the messages displayed here. Displaying details revealed the following.

Thinking that the install had failed, I canceled to clear these messages. Then I checked the content and found Wikipedia, but the module didn’t work properly. Every search returned nothing. When I eventually returned to the Add Modules display, I found that the installation had resumed (or had never ceased). Fortunately, my cancellation had not canceled it. This hiccup occurred again during the KA-Lite installation. The second time, I closed the browser tab and then browsed to the Install page again to find the installation proceeding.

This morning, all is well. I powered off and back on twice successfully. Then I shutdown from the Hardware page and powered back up successfully.

I’ll wait for your analysis of “rachel-autoinstall” before proceeding. When we’re sure that I have the latest software, I plan to install only the english modules first and to omit some larger modules that I don’t need at this time, namely Learn Saylor, Saylor, TED talks, Radio Lab and Career Girls. Will these omissions affect your test?

If I don’t remove Wikipedia from my modules list, will it be reinstalled?

Hi,

This is good news. A few things:

1. The missing menu item is not an issue. FYI: The file “rachel-autoinstall.modules” (minus .modules) shows as a menu item. I can add and delete the file and show the menu item come/go as expected. If we manipulated the file (removing the modules list contained within, excluding en-local_content), I would suspect resulting permissions to perhaps not copy the file into the target dir. Net, this should not have any factor in the operation of your device, other than having that option in the menu.

2. The device has a timeout limit where modules may show “stalled”. I have not seen “undefined” before, but I do virtually all of my module copies with content on a local server. Like many of the “Stalled” module scenarios, the copy resumed. I suspect this is due to network delays or disconnect/reconnects between the server providing this content and the device. Net, as long as the content eventually gets copied, no problem (other than the transfer times it take to copy 100’s of GB of data).

3. When you reload a module, the device uses a linux utility ‘rsync’. Rsync basically compares data recursively from source directory to target directory. It will not write over existing files if they are the same as the source (a little more complicated than this, but four our purposes now, this definition works). Files that are missing, will be copied. Net, you don’t need to remove module names on the full module list because they are on the short list (already installed).

4. As for Wikipedia, I would try a reinstall without deleting it as first method. This, hopefully, will save time as with a complete install. Because it has an associated DB, it is a bit more tricky, if the reinstall doesn’t work, you would need to delete the module and reinstall it. If you would like to avoid the hassle and forgo the extra time, just delete the module before loading the full list.

Thanks, Steve. I don’t need to reinstall Wikipedia. When the install completed, it worked as expected. I only want to be sure that it doesn’t download again, because it’s huuuge … believe me. Wikipedia for Schools meets my needs anyway.

I’m letting RACHEL discharge now to test a shutdown in this scenario. Then I’ll plug her in and start installing again. What did the kolibri modules provide? Does kolibri-channel-ck-12 provide flexbooks and video content from CK-12 rather than the pdf textbooks?

Discharge test was successful.

That’s great news. I am expecting once all modules are loaded, there will be no more boot issues whatsoever. As for the kolibri content flavors vs stand alone modules, I am less familiar with such content comparisons. I believe the appeal is that kolibri provides a method to track individual student activity and related. Potentially, I may be underselling kolibri, but, not yet sure. I have been highly leveraged for dev work, debug and alike.

FYI. I replicated the “Undefined” messages. More or less a browser refresh / page update delay, while loading modules. I have not found, nor believe at this time there is any functional issue, other than apparently slow page update in that relative update scenario.

Which modules, if any, should I not install to avoid the reboot problem?

Everything on the list I sent is good. Just no kolibri or kolibri channels until we get to root cause. FYI. This doesn’t necessarily mean there is any kolibri issue, just empirical data shows an interaction between the related module/channels and the device (resources, SW or other modules).

@Steve Bad news this morning … The installation of additional modules appeared to complete successfully. I saw the “undefined” messages on the Install display, but when I browsed to Modules and back to the Install page, everything looked O.K. I didn’t count the newly added modules, but nothing was pending. I then browsed some of the new modules, and they worked as expected, but when I powered down and back up, the wifi light never lit. I waited 20 minutes. I powered down and back up again and waited another 15 minutes without success.

To recap, I

1. Flashed the device from the USB per your instructions above, after removing everything below en-local_content from rachel-autoinstall.modules and changing “method=1” to “method=3” in update.sh. At this point, I repeatedly powered down and back up successfully.

2. Installed these modules:

en-local_content
en-teachertraining
en-wikipedia
en-wikipedia_for_schools
en-kalite

Aside from the “undefined” hiccup, this installation succeeded, and I could power down and back up repeatedly.

1. Installed these modules:

en-fantasticphonics-adult
en-fantasticphonics-child
en-wassce
en-tanzanian_exams
en-worldmap-10
en-rachelcourses
en-boundless
en-coreknowledge
en-ck12
en-openstax
en-siyavula
en-GCF2015
en-wikihow
en-blockly-games
en-practical_action
en-infonet
en-PhET
en-powertyping
en-understanding_algebra
en-algebra2go
en-math_expression
en-edison
hi-arvind
en-scale-of-universe
en-scratch
en-musictheory
en-olpc
en-peacebuilding
en-wikivoyage
en-ebooks
en-catdogbooks
en-mustardseedbooks
en-storybooks
en-bookdash
en-oerafrica-reading
en-binofino
multi-afristory
en-iicba
en-wikibooks
en-wikiversity
en-wiktionary
en-women-in-african-history
en-hesperian_health
en-medline_plus
en-feed-the-monster

Aside from the “undefined” hiccup, the installation succeeded, but with these modules installed, I can no longer reboot successfully. The wifi light never pulses, and I can’t ping the device plugged into the router.

I’ll wait for your reply before proceeding. I could flash again and install only the second set of modules.

Hi, Yes. Definitely not the news we were looking for. I respect your time and efforts. We can try one more thing if you are up for it. Basically, it would be to reflash (same as last time) and install the full list, excluding (a) everything that starts with “en-wiki” and “en-kalite”. The easiest way to do this is to just add your modules list (witht eh aforementioned removed) to the rachel-autoinstall.modules file. Just under the last line “en-local_content” (no empty lines between “en-local_content” and the list you are adding). When the unit powers off after the flash, remove the USB and power up. The list will be automatically installed at that point.

What this accomplishes is the installation of modules which do not have a DB. Just flat files.

I’ll try flashing the device and installing modules without a database, but the device is much less useful without Khan Academy. I could also install only the modules with a database that I’ve already installed.

It seemed to me that I waited longer for the wifi led to light after loading the first five modules than I waited before loading modules.

I have cleared much of my plate to focus on root cause. A fix will be provided over the next few days which allows full content. Thanks for the info and your help.

@Steve Installing only modules with no DB was not successful. I flashed the device with the same USB. I did not change rachel-autoinstall.modules, so this file still contains only “en-local_content”.

After the flash, I could not reboot. During the previous flash, RACHEL was not plugged into my router, so I unplugged her and flashed again, this time successfully. To test, I then plugged her back into the router, powered down and flashed again. This time with the device plugged into the router, the flash was successful. Don’t know what happened the first time.

I installed the following set of modules. This set contains everything in your list above less the Spanish content and en-kalite and en-wiki* (files beginning with en-wiki). The installation took over 24 hours. When It completed, the modules list looked OK, and I browsed a few modules successfully, but when I powered down and back up, the wifi led never lit. I waited several hours, overnight. This morning, I powered down and back up again, and the wifi led never lights. I’ll wait a while longer and then reflash.

The quantity of content seems to be an issue and not the presence of modules using the DB. Hope that’s helpful.

en-local_content
en-teachertraining
en-fantasticphonics-adult
en-fantasticphonics-child
en-wassce
en-tanzanian_exams
en-worldmap-10
en-learnsaylor
en-rachelcourses
en-boundless
en-coreknowledge
en-ck12
en-openstax
en-saylor
en-siyavula
en-GCF2015
en-careergirls
en-blockly-games
en-practical_action
en-infonet
en-PhET
en-powertyping
en-understanding_algebra
en-algebra2go
en-math_expression
en-edison
hi-arvind
en-scale-of-universe
en-scratch
en-radiolab
en-TED
en-musictheory
en-olpc
en-peacebuilding
en-ebooks
en-catdogbooks
en-mustardseedbooks
en-storybooks
en-bookdash
en-oerafrica-reading
en-binofino
multi-afristory
en-iicba
en-women-in-african-history
en-hesperian_health
en-medline_plus
en-feed-the-monster

@steve – I believe the USB is installing Kolibri and Kiwix even if none of the content is present. I think you’d have to revert back to the 500GB 3.0.0 USB to get a device that doesn’t get Kolibri installed.