RACHEL does not restart after first power down

@jeremy Good point. I was thinking because the installed resources are not being utilized, should not affect overhead. But, issue may not be overhead. OK.

@steve I can try flashing with a different USB and reloading the same modules.

Thanks. We can step back one image rev. For now, I am getting a board tomorrow which allows seeing and ultimately interact with the device on boot up, get logsā€¦ I am expecting to cut to the chase and provide more permanent fix within the next couple of days. I will update you asapā€¦

Hi.
I recently received a Rachel Content access point in Jamaica in the Caribbean. We have the exact same problem of it not booting up after the first use. Should i wait on your fix and resolve it remotely or should i ship it back?

Hi,

Please wait. I expect to have a fix by Monday. Meanwhile, a workaround:

Prerequisite: USB keyboard

1. Power on the device
  2. Wait 5 full minutes (about the time it takes for the device to normally boot)
  3. Hit Ctrl+D on the keyboard

The device will finish booting within a couple seconds

Note: Be sure the keyboard is plugged into the USB port closest to the network port.

I am in thanks. I will await the update. Thanks again.

If you try the workaround while waiting for the update, please let me know if it worked just as I expected. Thanks

So far so good. Watching Khan Lite on my phone. I will keep you posted.

@restonthewind

Hi, I have an easy workaround and a fix if you would like to try them. Is your device still in a non-booting state? If so, here is the workaround for starters:

Prerequisite: USB keyboard

• Power on the device
  • Wait 5 full minutes (about the time it takes for the device to normally boot)
  • Hit Ctrl+D on the keyboard

The device will finish booting within a couple seconds. Note: Be sure the keyboard is plugged into the USB port closest to the network port

Before we perform the update, what OS does your laptop or PC have? Linux, Mac or Win? We will ssh into the Rachel and run two commands. But how depends upon your OS.

@Steve

I flashed my device, with method=3, after the unsuccessful attempt to load content not using a DB, so it would boot but had no content. After seeing your workaround on Thursday, I installed the following set of modules including kalite and the wiki modules (other than full Wikipedia) but omitting some large modules that I donā€™t need.

Lo and behold, with this set of modules, I can reboot the device without your workaround. This set is similar to a set I installed previously except for the omission of Wikipedia. With the previous set, I could not reboot. Later today, Iā€™ll install Wikipedia to try to reproduce the reboot problem and then test the workaround.

en-local_content
en-teachertraining
en-wikipedia_for_schools
en-kalite
en-fantasticphonics-adult
en-wassce
en-tanzanian_exams
en-worldmap-10
en-rachelcourses
en-boundless
en-coreknowledge
en-ck12
en-openstax
en-siyavula
en-GCF2015
en-wikihow
en-blockly-games
en-practical_action
en-infonet
en-PhET
en-powertyping
en-understanding_algebra
en-algebra2go
en-math_expression
en-edison
hi-arvind
en-scale-of-universe
en-scratch
en-musictheory
en-olpc
en-peacebuilding
en-wikivoyage
en-ebooks
en-catdogbooks
en-mustardseedbooks
en-storybooks
en-bookdash
en-oerafrica-reading
en-binofino
multi-afristory
en-iicba
en-wikibooks
en-wikisource
en-wikiversity
en-wiktionary
en-women-in-african-history
en-hesperian_health
en-medline_plus
en-feed-the-monster

Great work. Thank you

HI does this update/fix apply to me too? I am running Windows 10.

The aforementioned is some experimental testing. I am expecting to have a fix released late tomorrow. Win10 instructions to be included.

Update: I installed full Wikipedia and could still reboot RACHEL, so I installed en-kolibri and en-kolibri-channel-ck-12, and I can still reboot. Iā€™m up to 322G (37%) used, but I canā€™t test the workaround yet. Iā€™ll add et-videos and learn-saylor next.

@Steve Whatā€™s the status of your permanent fix?

After adding en-etvideos, en-learnsaylor and en-saylor, I could still reboot, so I then added en-etbooks, en-radiolab and en-TED. With these modules, I have used 512G (59%) of RACHELā€™s capacity, and she doesnā€™t fully reboot without the workaround, but booting her with a USB keyboard connected and pressing Ctrl-D after five minutes does enable wifi. I repeated the new reboot sequence twice.

To recap, I now have the modules above plus the following modules installed.

en-wikipedia
en-kolibri
en-kolibri-channel-ck-12
en-kolibri-channel-sikana
en-etvideos
en-learn-saylor
en-saylor
en-etbooks
en-radiolab
en-TED

With all but the last three of these modules, I could reboot without the keyboard workaround. After adding the last three, I can reboot only with the workaround.

@restonthewind Good news. We are building a new image now. After testing, I will provide it Monday. You should be all set once installed.

Still testing. Almost doneā€¦

1 Like

We are having the same issue with our device. I will await the new image.

Thank you for your time, effort and hanging in there on this issue. After much debug, analysis and testing, we have resolution to the issue. I am expecting to release a field fix later tomorrow. Unfortunately, we had a last minute issue previously which held up the field release. All testing is done with the latest fix and working to get the field utility out asap.

Thanks @Steve. Looking forward to it.